"Baldy's" Raw Feeding Transtion

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"Baldy" is just a temperary name, until I can figure out something that actually suits him.  Tonight or tomorrow I'll try get a few pictures of him up.

February 2, 2012: I was brought “Baldy” today. He is a DSH black and white cat who is about four years old. He started losing fur two years ago, and now the only fur he has in on his head and the tip of his tail. Needless to say, he is rather homely looking, though his attitude doesn’t help much either.

He is very mad at the world and wants to attack anyone who gets to close. It took several minutes to be able to get his food bowl in his cage without him attacking me.

His previous owner did try prescription food when “Baldy” started to lose his fur, but saw no improvement, so moved him back to his previous diet: the cheapest dry food they could find at the grocery store. Personally, I think that his problem is simply very bad allergies to his food. He has been tested for other problems that would make him lose his fur and everything comes up negative.

I fed him two cans of Fancy Feast “chicken hearts and liver” today and he ate all of that. I am waiting to try raw until I know that whatever dry food he had, is out of his system.

February 3, 2012: His attitude is not much better, though I am ignoring the bad behavior and trying to reward the good. I was only able to get his dish out of the cage, refill it, and put it back in because he was busy in the litter box.

He ate a 5.5 ounce can of Evanger’s slow cooked chicken as well as one ounce of Rad Cat turkey. Personally, I do not like Evanger’s, the canned food I have gotten looks like it has been eaten once before and thrown up. It is supposed to be a chunky style food but it looks like it was already digested. However, a lot of cats love it, and it is better than Fancy Feast.

February 4, 2012: Apparently he has figured out that if he is good and doesn’t hiss/growl/swat at me, I will give him food. Today went much better with feeding him once he realized that being naughty wasn’t getting him anywhere.

He ate a 5.5 ounce can of Evanger’s slow cooked turkey and an ounce of Rad Cat Turkey.

February 5, 2012: Today he ate 5 ounces of Precise Turkey mixed with 2 ounces of Rad Cat Chicken and 1 ounce of small chicken breast cubes. He wasn’t as impressed with it, but did eat it, I would guess he doesn’t much appreciate the Precise canned food.

He only growled at me once - a major improvement!

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw.... poor Baldy! I can't imagine what that boy has been suffering. Does he itch at himself? I mean - can you tell if he pulled his hair out, or did it fall out?

Sounds like things are already improving rather dramatically for this boy! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He doesn't scratch or itch at himself, it sounds/looks like it slowly all fell out.

Today he had three ounces of raw beef heart that was cut into small cubes and then I drizzled some canned food soup on top of the pieces.  He also had 2.5 ounces of chicken Rad Cat which I sprinkled some probiotics on.  He went for the beef heart first and ate all of it, then a bit more reluctantly ate the Rad Cat.  So far, so good!

I'm really hoping that his diet was the actual problem, and that his fur grows back once he gets on all raw

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume a vet has seen him and not offered any opinion on why his fur fell off?

Seems to me that fur loose without the scratching or redness of an allergy would more likely have a medical cause rather than a dietary one. 

Good luck with the new diet. I hope it helps. 

Last edited:

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has been seen by a vet. 

I haven't noticed any scratching, but the only time he tolerates being around me is feeding time, so then he is busy eating.  However, he starting going bald two years ago. 

Some pictures of him from a few days ago:

Today he ate 3 ounces of raw cubed chicken and 2 ounces of chicken Rad Cat.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he has been seen by a vet. 

I haven't noticed any scratching, but the only time he tolerates being around me is feeding time, so then he is busy eating.  However, he starting going bald two years ago. 

Some pictures of him from a few days ago:

Today he ate 3 ounces of raw cubed chicken and 2 ounces of chicken Rad Cat.

Ohhhhhhhh... honey!!!!!!!  
 for his recovery from whatever it is that has made his fur fall out.  It's great that he's eating the raw!  I'm hoping you'll see a change in demeanor and better health as well.  Come on, Baldy!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't figure out how to edit my post (maybe it is to late) but hopefully now the pictures will show up:

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The tested for some possible causes but it all came up negative - and prescribed Hills Prescription Diet (first z/d...but that didn't work so then i/d).

I can try get his whole medical record, this is what his previous owner told me.  I do know what vet he went to, but it is a matter of whether they will share the information with me or not.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Baldy :(..... and :hugs: to you trying so hard to get him healthy. I haven't a clue about his condiion :dk: It actually looks like he was shaved. I hope the raw will be what he needs :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tested for some possible causes but it all came up negative - and prescribed Hills Prescription Diet (first z/d...but that didn't work so then i/d).

I can try get his whole medical record, this is what his previous owner told me.  I do know what vet he went to, but it is a matter of whether they will share the information with me or not.

I was just wondering what a vet had to say about his condition. Sounds like there might not have been any diagnosis and that the z/d and i/d were prescribed just as something to try.

I'd get a second opinion if it was me. Seems like a vet should recognize losing fur to be indicative of something specific.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am trying to get the medical records but so far no luck. 

Today he ate 4 ounces of chunked up pork and 2 ounces of chicken Rad Cat.  The pork was cut into pieces about the same size of a quarter.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay, haven't updated this in a while.

He is now eating all prey model/frankenprey raw and has no problem eating whole chicken necks!  He is getting not hissing at the other cats and they are not hissing at him anymore.  Soon I hope I can slowly introduce everyone. 

His fur already appears to be growing back, it is hard to really tell, but he feels prickly.  Also, now that I have been able to handle him, I checked and he does have some small sores from scratching himself.  I have seen him scratching as well.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.

I hope you're right that his fur is growing in.

I'm hoping for another good update soon!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh GREAT that he's eating so well! :clap:

And that poor baby.... I hope "prickly" means his fur is starting to grow back in! :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like he is growing fur back, it is still hard to tell for sure, but when I pet him it feels like he is growing some fur.  He is eating raw like a pro already, he ate right through a chicken wing without any hesitation

So far the introductions have gone well, hopefully soon he can be let out on his own, even if it is only for a few minutes.