bald spots

julia c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my 6-year indoor cat has two bald spots on his head. ringworm should be excluded. what is the problem?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, first my question is why should ringworm be excluded? Then you would look into allergies or a possible thyroid problem. The only true way to figure out what is going on is taking them to the vet for testing. I would look into finding a vet who is knowledgable on skin problems. It may even be a simple case of parasites. Please give us updates, as we all learn more from these things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julia c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally posted by Sandie
Okay, first my question is why should ringworm be excluded? Then you would look into allergies or a possible thyroid problem. The only true way to figure out what is going on is taking them to the vet for testing. I would look into finding a vet who is knowledgable on skin problems. It may even be a simple case of parasites. Please give us updates, as we all learn more from these things.

Thank you Sandy for your reply. I do not think it can be ringworm since he has not contact with other animals. I guess the same goes to parasites. Could it be avitaminosis?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't rule anything out, but it is unlikely. Vitamin deficiency is at the bottom of the list. There is a list as long as your arm as to what can cause balding.As for the ringworm aspect, it is not just transmitted from cats. It could have been brought home by one of the people in the house. Just because the fungus didn't grow on our skin does not mean we did not drop pr transfer the spores that cause it. As I said before, it is something that needs to be looked at by a vet and tested for all the possibilites. If gone untreated it is likely to worsen over time. Let us know how it's going.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Yeah, ringworm can be very infectious - even between humans and cats.

It could also be an allergy I think. The possibilities are endless (well almost...
) So you really do need to get her to the vet.

Do let us know what the vet says!