Bald spots with redness

katiesperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a brother/sister pair, around 3 years old, that I adopted about 9 months ago. Earlier this week I noticed some hair loss and redness on the girl's tummy around her nipple. This morning I noticed a bald spot between the shoulder blades on the boy.

Both are exclusively indoor cats, no fleas. I haven't noticed either of them scratching or licking the areas repeatedly. They do occasionally tussle with each other (play fighting). We haven't changed anything about their diet recently.

Photos attached. Any idea what it could be? They both are very skittish, nervous cats who are difficult to corral to take them to the vet, but will do so if needed. Thanks for any help!

catmom marcia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would double check for fleas just in case.  Place kitty on a piece of plain white paper and rub it's coat vigourously.  If tiny specks of black "dirt" fall off place a drop of water on them and if they turn red you have flea dirt!  Just because you can't see the little buggers does no mean they are not there!  We can carry them in on our clothes and voila, they jump onto a nice furry creature in the house!  I would first suspect fleas, then suspect a food source.  Maybe a new flavor of food recently? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the test you suggested and didn't see any dirt/black spots. They don't seem itchy in general, aren't scratching themselves that I can tell, so I doubt it is fleas. I went to the local pet shop and bought a homeopathic itch remedy to try. It's an oral solution, so will have to mix it with their wet food tonight and see if it helps.

olivia520

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I'm wondering about this too- I have one cat and she has a similar bald spot with a red scab. She's exclusively indoor. It doesn't seem to bother her when I touch it and she's not scratching too much. I'm wondering what this ended up being. Thanks so much!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katiesperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet said it was a granuloma and gave our kitties a steroid shot. One of our kitties had a recurrence a few months later with a bald spot on her lower lip and needed another shot, the other one has been fine. I started giving the one who had the recurrence an herbal skin and fur supplement and so far, so good.