Bald red spot on cats chin

Bethanyyjeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Deebo had a tiny little bald spot (maybe around the size of a bb pellet) on his chin for a few days then suddenly it formed into this. This is my first cat ever and I’m super concerned. Should I take him to the vet ASAP or is this a common thing that can be easily fixed?
B2E0B2C8-5C0C-457D-B331-2C4D97CE7165.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a clean wound but he should be checked. Can you send the photo to the vet and then call for information? You do need to call them. I am not a vet but any open wound should be checked. It does not look infected but if it was an abscess that has drained your vet might want to clean it or give some antibiotics. Kitties do get a sort of acne, they can get a claw caught when scratching, a sore can abscess. As you noticed, there is a bare spot in the fur too. You don’t mention if kitty is eating, drinking, pooping, urinating and otherwise acting normally. Does the place seem to hurt or have a bad odor? Notice these things and check in with your vet. Getting a professional opinion is always best and will put any concerns you have to rest. When you call, they can tell you if you need to get an appointment or come in. They may suggest something you can do. If kitty drinks from a plastic bowl, switch to stainless or glass to avoid bacteria. Make sure to keep water fresh, dishes cleaned often and bedding fresh. Check kitty for any flea to prevent scratching or irritation. You can use a comb and comb kitty over a white towel or cloth to see if any flea is hiding in that beautiful fur. Avoid combing near the sore. Please update us to let us know how kitty is doing. Write back if you notice anything more before you you are able to talk to the vet.
Deebo is your first kitty? Well he got very lucky to get such a caring person to love him. I’m glad you came to the site. Welcome to you and Deebo.:purr:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some great advice from Jcatbird Jcatbird :heartshape:

It doesn't look too bad at the moment, but if he is scratching himself enough to leave bald spots or cuts it's a sign that something is irritating him.

Comb his fur and then shake the comb over a damp paper towel. If there is black grit that turns red when it hits the damp towel that is flea dirt, and a sign that he needs to be treated for fleas.

It could also be acne or allergies, but start with the flea dirt test as that is the most obvious cause of itching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bethanyyjeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like a clean wound but he should be checked. Can you send the photo to the vet and then call for information? You do need to call them. I am not a vet but any open wound should be checked. It does not look infected but if it was an abscess that has drained your vet might want to clean it or give some antibiotics. Kitties do get a sort of acne, they can get a claw caught when scratching, a sore can abscess. As you noticed, there is a bare spot in the fur too. You don’t mention if kitty is eating, drinking, pooping, urinating and otherwise acting normally. Does the place seem to hurt or have a bad odor? Notice these things and check in with your vet. Getting a professional opinion is always best and will put any concerns you have to rest. When you call, they can tell you if you need to get an appointment or come in. They may suggest something you can do. If kitty drinks from a plastic bowl, switch to stainless or glass to avoid bacteria. Make sure to keep water fresh, dishes cleaned often and bedding fresh. Check kitty for any flea to prevent scratching or irritation. You can use a comb and comb kitty over a white towel or cloth to see if any flea is hiding in that beautiful fur. Avoid combing near the sore. Please update us to let us know how kitty is doing. Write back if you notice anything more before you you are able to talk to the vet.
Deebo is your first kitty? Well he got very lucky to get such a caring person to love him. I’m glad you came to the site. Welcome to you and Deebo.:purr:
Deebo and his sister Olive moved to califnoria temporarily with my boyfriend about 4 days ago so I don’t have an eye on them 24/7 right now but he keeps me updated on almost every single thing they do. Last time I saw him his bathroom uses were normal and he eats very good and my boyfriend hasn’t mentioned any changes in that. It might be from a claw catching, but I just trimmed all his nails down pretty short right before they left. it may be from his sister’s claws because hers were left longer than his cause she’s a bit finicky with nails. No itching besides normal kitty itchies and no unusual/bad odor from him. I think it may be kitty acne because he uses a plastic bowl while his sister uses a metal one and she does not have this issue. Also, my boyfriend checked for fleas and did not notice it on either cat or any other animal in the house. He also has checked the bedding and no flea dirt. There’s a bit of a time difference, but he’ll call the vet as soon as they open over there and I’ll let you guys know what they say.

Also, Deebo is one of my first kitties; we got him and his sister Olive from the shelter at the same time a few months ago :)

Bethanyyjeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some great advice from Jcatbird Jcatbird :heartshape:

It doesn't look too bad at the moment, but if he is scratching himself enough to leave bald spots or cuts it's a sign that something is irritating him.

Comb his fur and then shake the comb over a damp paper towel. If there is black grit that turns red when it hits the damp towel that is flea dirt, and a sign that he needs to be treated for fleas.

It could also be acne or allergies, but start with the flea dirt test as that is the most obvious cause of itching.
He isn’t scratching a lot more than usually; that’s the thing that made me confused. He’s just chilling.
I replied to Jcatbird Jcatbird and answered a few of their questions and gave a bit more information. My boyfriend checked their bedding and fur but I’ll have him get a flea comb and check for fleas that way too. I’m leaning more towards acne since he uses a plastic bowl while his sister uses a metal bowl and she doesn’t have this issue. My boyfriend is going to call the vet as soon as they open and I’ll let you guys know what happens!

Bethanyyjeanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*UPDATE* We called the vet/sent them pictures and they told us to stop using a plastic bowl and to start using a metal bowl. Thank you guys for your suggestions! If it flares back up again after the switch we’ll take him to the vet and I’ll let y’all know if they say it’s something besides acne.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so glad you got vet advice. Acne and the issue with plastic bowls is something we often see. I did wonder when you mentioned the sister is a claw had swatted him. Hopefully just changing the bowl and letting the wound heal will be all that is needed. We do love updates though! Please do let us know how you and kitties are doing when you know more. Hoping it just heals quickly.