Bald Patches

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. So the cat I posted about in possible anaemia still keeps getting a pale nose. And I've also noticed today that she has balding patches under her chin and her eyes are often watery slight red tears. I have asked my husband to take her to the vet on Wednesday. But in the mean time. Has anyone else got any idea what this is please? I wonder if it is from where I syringe fed her antibiotics for a few weeks and she would often try to spit it out and it would run down her cheeks/chin?
20180309_131953.jpg
20180309_131953.jpg
20180309_131944.jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Um...I am not sure. There are any number of things that it could be. One of the easiest ones to heal, but BOY is it a lot of work, is ringworm. Let us know what the vet says!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So update since a visit to the vet... He said the balding patches were from excessive grooming due to the spillage/foaming at the mouth from the metronidazol medication. It hasn't gotten any worse and is slightly improving. He also said she didn't look like she has anaemia although one of her kittens does. We have since started to give them liver with their food and also reintroduced a little more commercial wet food in to their diet. Our previous vet warned us off of most available wet food out here in Saudi so we were giving them plain boiled chicken with grain free kibble and the super expensive grain free canagan wet food on occasion (when I hadn't pre prepared any chicken/ had someone else feed them/ too tired etc) but now we realise that perhaps they weren't getting quite enough nutrients from this diet.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do need a complete and balanced cat food, or all kinds of serious complications can occur. something like plain boiled chicken should not be more than 10% of the diet. I would feed a commercial wet food, that would be best. If you cannot access wet food then a commercial dry cat food is the next best thing. Just make sure there is plenty of fresh clean water available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FunnyFaceFamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They've always had access to grain free dry food as well as the boiled chicken and been fed commercial wet food a couple of times a week, sometimes more. It's just hard to get good quality wet food out here and with 6 they seem to devour it quicker than we can replace it regardless how much we buy at a time! SO I'M now mixing in fancy feast and friskies pate with the chicken and liver but just as I predicted, it's given some of them an upset stomach. So will add a little yoghurt for probiotics also but really need to get to the only store that sells the only wet food that doesn't negatively affect their stomachs asap. It's a 2hr drive away and we don't have a car...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we were giving them plain boiled chicken with grain free kibble and the super expensive grain free canagan wet food on occasion (when I hadn't pre prepared any chicken/ had someone else feed them/ too tired etc) but now we realise that perhaps they weren't getting quite enough nutrients from this diet.
Check our Nutrition board, there are some discussions there on raw and home-made diets that may include ingredients you can get. We also have several articles about it that may give you some ideas.