Bald patch after vaccination

Mimo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
11 year old cat Mimo had vaccination Wednesday 22 June (in Australia so no rabies; Fel-O-Vax 4 vaccine inactivated FRV, FCV, FPV and C Felis for Feline enteritis/ cat flu/ chlamydia), has had same vaccination previously without reaction, our young cat had at same time without reaction. Noticed bald patch at vaccination site Friday 24 June, initially about 12mm x 5mm, very red, not raised. Took back to vet next morning Saturday 25 June - told unlikely reaction to vaccination. Given Neocort cream (apply twice a day), Noroclav tablets twice a day and Meloxicam 0.5 anti inflammatory oral suspension twice a day. At vaccination he was also booked in for following Wednesday to remove a tooth (first time ever had cat with tooth issue) and have xray for arthritis while under anaesthetic. The redness has gone from Site, he doesn't seem very bothered by it, but each day the bald patch is getting bigger. When he went in on Wednesday 29 June vet admitted probably was a reaction to vaccine. Now Sunday 3 July, two and a half weeks since vaccination and bald patch still increasing now 30 x 40mm, still giving the medications for just over a week. Will take back to vet again, but interested if anyone else experienced same thing and any ideas to help him. Can see bald patch still increasing daily (taken Photos daily) - too big to attach all. Will attach two from first day (photo with hand and fingers visible) and one from today. He had arthritis in back knees and we were given 4Cyte for this - I gave one dose, then saw extremely concerning negative reviews so have not continued 4Cyte and intend to give alternative joint supplement. Any help (re bald patch) appreciated. Thank you.
20220703_132923.jpg
20220624_175846.jpg
20220624_175832.jpg
20220624_175832.jpg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have heard that there are different versions of 'ingredients' in the vaccinations, so a previous one that your cat has had might have been different than this last one - hence the probability for a reaction to this one and not the last. But why it would continue to grow - even though it does look better in terms of redness, is beyond me. It might be bugging him, and he is scratching at it?

I would send those pics to the vet and also ask if it is possible that he is allergic to the Neocort cream. Other than that, you might also want to ask the vet about doing a skin scraping (much less harmful than it sounds) and analysis of the tissue to see if that would give any kind of indication as to what is causing it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M Mimo Neocort is not given in Canada to cats from what I can see? I had to look it up. One of the side effects includes skin irritation. It has hydrocortisone in it which may cause hair loss.

I would stop the cream. I've always been told to use regular polysporin (one without the pain relief, children's one if it's available) as an antibiotic creme for cats if needed for a day or two to prevent infection.

Keep her inside and the area clean. You can use just saline from the store if you want or just boil some water and allow it to cool to room temperature and clean with a sterile pad.

Maybe this is just me, but the pills and the cream together seems rather aggressive for a mild vaccine reaction?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. Hydrocortisone can also cause thinning of the skin. So the skin might have thinned and then she's been scratching or rubbing the area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying. He went back to the vet again today, he had been vomiting and I was worried about losing weight. He has lost 400g in a fortnight (now 4.6kg). Vet not concerned about bald patch. Also not interested/ believe is still increasing, in spite of photos clearly showing is still getting bigger. A positive is that Mimo now has some hair regrowing in the middle of the bald patch. I have stopped the cream. (Also he has finished all other medication.) Today given anti nausea pills to give half hour before feeding him twice daily. Now feeding him cooked (lightly boiled) chopped chicken meat only (temporary) on vet's advice... He did not vomit today. Feels like a treadmill of medication and cascading effects. Vet only wants us to bring him back if he is still not better in a few weeks. Hoping everything will settle down for him, especially as I want to give him supplements for his knees, but want him keeping his food down consistently first. He hasn't had problems with vomiting or appetite before. He is not rubbing or scratching at his skin (doesn't seen to bother him), but it is not normal and still increasing. I have added two photos from today.

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for replying. He went back to the vet again today, he had been vomiting and I was worried about losing weight. He has lost 400g in a fortnight (now 4.6kg). Vet not concerned about bald patch. Also not interested/ believe is still increasing, in spite of photos clearly showing is still getting bigger. A positive is that Mimo now has some hair regrowing in the middle of the bald patch. I have stopped the cream. (Also he has finished all other medication.) Today given anti nausea pills to give half hour before feeding him twice daily. Now feeding him cooked (lightly boiled) chopped chicken meat only (temporary) on vet's advice... He did not vomit today. Feels like a treadmill of medication and cascading effects. Vet only wants us to bring him back if he is still not better in a few weeks. Hoping everything will settle down for him, especially as I want to give him supplements for his knees, but want him keeping his food down consistently first. He hasn't had problems with vomiting or appetite before. He is not rubbing or scratching at his skin (doesn't seen to bother him), but it is not normal and still increasing. I have added two photos from today.
Thanks for updating us..I'm glad to hear he's doing a bit better. It certainly sounds like the adverse reaction was intensified by the cream. It doesn't sound like he reacts well to it.

After a few days on antibiotics, it's very common for a cat to need an appetite stimulant or anti-nausea.

Mimo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, he had the anaesthetic too 29/6 (tooth out and xray of leg joints). He didn't vomit yesterday, so today I have not given anti- nausea pills, just plain boiled chopped chicken meat, and he hasn't vomitted at all today either. Think I will just keep feeding plain chicken and then very, very slowly reintroduce his normal food starting with very small quantities with the plain chicken. Hopefully he will tolerate without needing the anti nausea pills. We have bought two lots of joint supplements for him, but I think I'll wait at least a week before introducing to help calm his stomach - unless his mobility decreases or he seems to be in pain, and when I do introduce, I'll do that very slowly and one product at a time. (Blackmore's PAW Osteosupport Joint Care Powder and Vetalogica Vitarapid Joint Care Daily Treats.) I will continue to keep an eye on his skin too. Thank you for your insight.

Mimo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again, Quick update, Mimo is now doing well. Patch is same size (no longer increasing) and has more hair growing back inside it. Will add two photos from today. He hasn't vomited and I am giving him increasing amounts of his own food (still with mostly plain cooked chicken breast, and sometimes some tuna as well), and have given him his first lot of Joint Supplement (PAW one made with mussels), with no adverse reactions thus far. So all in all things are looking up for him. Thank you xx

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again, Quick update, Mimo is now doing well. Patch is same size (no longer increasing) and has more hair growing back inside it. Will add two photos from today. He hasn't vomited and I am giving him increasing amounts of his own food (still with mostly plain cooked chicken breast, and sometimes some tuna as well), and have given him his first lot of Joint Supplement (PAW one made with mussels), with no adverse reactions thus far. So all in all things are looking up for him. Thank you xx
Wonderful! I'm so glad to hear that. I would note or have your vet note that he is allergic to that cream.