Balanced Blends has failed

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really liked their food, but they are off the table as a feeding option. At least for chicken....they have turkey and beef still.

This from their most recent update on their website:

"First and foremost, we want to apologize for the last few weeks. We kept hoping to have good news with regard to our production of Raw Chicken Dinner for Cats and Charcutier Chicken Pate for Cats, but once again, things didn’t turn out the way we planned. We are so sorry for this…
The Bad News - We have no Raw Chicken Dinner for Cats, and we are not going to have any for the foreseeable future. The lot we made does not live up to our standards, and we need to explore other options for making our food.
The Semi-Good News - We have a small amount of Charcuterie Chicken Pate for Cats available now. However, when that amount is sold out, we will not have any more available until we find another option for making food. We recommend transitioning to new food."

I've really not had good luck with commercial raw. First, Nature Variety ups its bone content to almost 20% causing significant health issues for my cats, then Balanced Blends stops making chicken food. Other companies have had similar issues. There's just no substitute for homemade, as it turns out!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can dilute the bone content by adding up to 10% boneless meat. I know there are threads here on TCS with more info about that.

I feed the frozen NV raw and neither cat have any issue with the bone content. They poop just fine and have no tummy issues other than the occasional hairball, or in Leroy's case, clear liquid because his IBD tummy has gone too long without food.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they've had a run of bad luck with their chicken. They had a whole shipment go bad because the delivery got delayed, then the machine that clips the chubs broke down and twice they got the wrong replacement part, then this. I'll probably stick to tiki cat for now, I'd order the raw turkey but it likes to stick to the inside of the chubs and it's a PITA to scrape it out. I won't use NV anymore for the same reason, way too much bone content.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah, I also noticed the Balanced Blends turkey sticking to the plastic wrapper. It's good stuff though, so I went ahead and ordered it.

I still have a couple bags of NV medallions so I've been buying boneless chicken thighs, hearts and livers from the grocery, baking them for ~10 minutes for a surface cook, and chopping them up by hand. Then I add Alnutrin supplement + water. Mix this with equal weight of medallions and voila, balanced cat food with a perfect 7-10% range of bone content, and my kitties love it. I've been hesitating to buy a grinder and go all out with the food making, but maybe I should.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And now it's official: They're going out of business. They've offered their remaining stock (turkey and beef) for a sale price of 25% off.

However, I wouldn't recommend buying it. I bought the turkey just a few days before their announced sale, and my cats won't touch it. Normally they love the food. Something's clearly wrong with it.