Baking

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This is as far as I got today. I did 7-1/2 quarts of applesauce. An apple-pecan pie with a praline glaze, two apple pies, both with a hint of maple sugar, and 4 apple dumplings. Everything, but the dumplings is in the freezer. I ran out of brown sugar for the apple dumpling syrup; it's been added to my grocery list. I'll do more dumplings on Thursday night while Rick is bowling.

(I don't crimp pies well because my fingernails are too long and I'm not cutting my nails back just to crimp pie dough.)

Baking.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks guys! I was pleased with how they turned out. I do crimp one crust pies with a fork, but never tried it with a two crust pie. Good idea!

Many years ago, I made apple pies with just one kind of apple (usually Paula Reds because that's what Rick's mom used). Since we've been going down to Hollabaugh's bin porch, we grab one large bag and put in a huge variety of apples that are good for baking or for pies. Then when I make my pies, I take one of each kind of apple that we chose. There's a nice assortment of apples in the pie for flavor and for texture. It works out well. We do the same for applesauce; it's a big variety of different apples in the sauce.

Kat0121 Kat0121 No, they're not for Thanksgiving; they're just for whatever reason we need. It's nice if my sister and BIL come over for dinner and I can just take a pie out of the freezer and throw it into the oven for dessert.

Rick's mom ate her apple dumpling while Rick was still there last night. She didn't even wait for him to leave. Rick said she devoured the thing! We'll take another one up to her this weekend. We can't take a bunch up at one time because she has no way to keep them chilled. (I didn't go along as I wanted to take a shower, do a hair mask, etc.)

You can all come over anytime for dumplings, for dinner, for whatever!

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I was pleased with how they turned out. I do crimp one crust pies with a fork, but never tried it with a two crust pie. Good idea!

Many years ago, I made apple pies with just one kind of apple (usually Paula Reds because that's what Rick's mom used). Since we've been going down to Hollabaugh's bin porch, we grab one large bag and put in a huge variety of apples that are good for baking or for pies. Then when I make my pies, I take one of each kind of apple that we chose. There's a nice assortment of apples in the pie for flavor and for texture. It works out well. We do the same for applesauce; it's a big variety of different apples in the sauce.

Kat0121 Kat0121 No, they're not for Thanksgiving; they're just for whatever reason we need. It's nice if my sister and BIL come over for dinner and I can just take a pie out of the freezer and throw it into the oven for dessert.

Rick's mom ate her apple dumpling while Rick was still there last night. She didn't even wait for him to leave. Rick said she devoured the thing! We'll take another one up to her this weekend. We can't take a bunch up at one time because she has no way to keep them chilled. (I didn't go along as I wanted to take a shower, do a hair mask, etc.)

You can all come over anytime for dumplings, for dinner, for whatever!
That’s it. I am renting a bus and we are all going to Winchester’s where we will sit in her she shed eating apple pie and drinking adult beverages!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That’s it. I am renting a bus and we are all going to Winchester’s where we will sit in her she shed eating apple pie and drinking adult beverages!

Make sure there's a seat with a functioning seat belt for 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 He has a tendency to fall out of or off of moving vehicles on road trips to TCS members' homes for dinner;) :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely beautiful! Crimped or not, they all taste the same! I use the thick end of a butter knife to crimp, after folding the edges under to make them thicker. The knife is held backwards and at a right angle to the edge, pointing towards the center. It makes a beautiful, uniform crimped edge. Sprinkling teh top of teh crust with a light dusting of cinnamon and sugar (makes frozen ones look better too) is a nice touch too!