Baking Question

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Calling bakers Winchester Winchester micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom

I'm finally going to make those brownie bites this weekend. I have all the ingredients except eggs and unsalted butter. Those are easy enough to get.

I plan to double the recipe to get enough brownie bites for sharing at work. Can I get 3 cups of almond flour out of a 1 lb bag? :think:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Another baker here, and you should be able to get at least 3 and 1/3 cups out of that :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking along Furballsmom Furballsmom 's lines. But the amount will vary according to the kind of flour, for the most part and that measurement is more for standard white flour. I will add, when you open your flour, fluff it up. Take your measuring cup and just fluff the flour up. That way it's not so heavily packed and dense in the bag/container. That will help you, too.

Good luck with your brownie bites! I want to see them and I'm dying to know how they taste!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I'll buy another bag of almond flour just in case.

Can I use sea salt instead of regular salt? All I have is sea salt but I can take a bunch of salt packets from work. No one uses them.

Maybe a dumb question - can I put double the ingredients into one mixing bowl and mix it all together? Or is it better to do one batch at a time?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Not a dumb question at all :) With this you should be able to mix it together into one large batch.

Not completely sure about the sea salt. I think it will distribute into the batter ok.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't (but now's a nice time to see this post, eh? Sorry). Sea salt has larger crystals, so if you use it, I'd probably try to crush the crystals a bit. And because the crystals are larger, you're probably not actually getting as much salt as the recipe states. But that's just me. I'm sure they came out fine!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm just now online again. and i'm very interested in how your brownie bites turned out! :agree:

i've made recipes where the salt ingredient listed in the recipe gives the choice of using kosher/sea salt or table salt, and the amount measured/needed of table salt is different (if i remember correctly, less) than the amount of kosher/sea salt.

i'm glad you went ahead and bought a second 1 lb bag of almond flour. it's always better to have some extra, as opposed to not enough for a recipe!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I made the brownies today:

The almond flour taste is noticeably detectable while eating a brownie bite. Not sure how people at work will feel about that :paranoid: Can I use regular white flour next time in the same quantity?

One batch makes 24 bites so I did two batches. There was a lot of batter left after I filled two trays evenly :headscratch: I ended up with 70 bites total. More brownie bites to share :biggrin:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
But is it a bad taste or just an almondy taste? Do you think that, once you've dusted them with the confectioners' sugar, that will tone the taste down? Or maybe use a bit of chocolate frosting or glaze? They look really good!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just an a almond -y taste. I went with simple so no confectioner sugar or frosting. I haven't heard anything negative about the almond taste but maybe people are just being polite. I did note that the brownie bites contain almond flour just in case someone has a nut allergy.

I found another similar recipe that uses regular flour. I'll give that a try next time.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just had a brownie bite. The almond taste is less noticeable today.