Baked goods and Freezing

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do a lot of baking for Christmas, usually starting in October, and freeze everything (after baking). But LTS3 LTS3 brought up a good point to me that I could freeze the dough and bake fresh when needed. I knew that dough could be frozen but never really thought of doing my Christmas baking that way. So this brings me to my question.
What types of dough freeze well? Have you ever frozen certain types of dough and it not turn out? I don't want to ruin any of my baking but want to try freezing dough instead of freezing the baked cookie/square/candy...It would save a lot of room in my freezer.
This is a list of things I usually make. I put in parenthesis what I needs to be done with the dough prior to baking.
Chocolate Chip Cookies (drop)
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies (drop)
Cappuccino Flats (slice)
Ginger Cookies (formed (ball), then rolled in sugar, gently flatten)
Shortbread Cookies (form (ball) then flatten)
Sugar Cookies (roll/cut out)
Peanut Butter Cookies (formed (ball) then flatten with fork)
White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies (drop)
Peanut Butter Balls
Chocolate Macaroons (drop)
Brownies
Marshmallow Squares (mix and set)
Snikerdoodles (formed and coated in cinnamon and sugar)
"various" cluster/drop cookies (no bake - just mix and let set)
Salted Caramel (cooked on stove then set)
Cookies and Cream Fudge (cooked on stove and set)
Chocolate Mint Cups (melt, layer, set)

I know things like the marshmallow squares or the no bake drop/cluster cookies don't count since they don't need to be baked. And I know there have been a few more that I don't do every year, but out of this list, that require an actual dough to be made, can they all be frozen...as dough?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These pretty much say any cookie dough can be frozen:

Delicate doughs like French macaron and pizzelle do not freeze well, maybe because they're not stuff doughs that are rolled and sliced / cut out.

Brownie batter apparently can be frozen as well: Can You Freeze Unbaked Brownie Mix?

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I would be very leery of trying to freeze the fudge. Sometimes it can get really grainy.

Take it a step further, if you have the room in your freezer. Don't just freeze the dough in a bowl; if you have the time, roll your balls out, and freeze the balls (wow, that doesn't sound very good, does it? :paperbag: ). Then, all you have to do is place the balls on a cookie sheet and bake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(wow, that doesn't sound very good, does it? :paperbag: ).
:flail:
I would be very leery of trying to freeze the fudge. Sometimes it can get really grainy.
The fudge recipe that I have used, I was able to freeze it and it turned out fine, but it was after it had set and cooled. But you're right about being leery...that's why I was asking about all these recipes. Just because they say you can freeze things, doesn't mean the texture holds well. I would be hesitant to freeze brownie dough. I would think, considering it's more of a runny dough than cookie dough, that it would crystallize, and change the texture....not sure if that makes a huge difference for before being baked.

I would also assume that for the cookies that need to be rolled in sugar prior to baking, should not be coated until after being thawed and ready to bake? While thawing, if pre-coated, the sugars could dissolved a bit.....

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, just freeze the dough. Put the sprinkles, sugar, etc on just before the cookies go in the oven or whenever you normally add them.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mixed a half-batch of chocolate chip cookie dough last night and refrigerated. Even read the recipe as I mixed the dough, just in case I was mis-remembering anything. Baked this morning.

Better, but not as good as they used to be. Edges are thin, spread out, dark brown, crisp / crunchy. Body of cookie fine.

Next time, if there is a next time - I'm getting discouraged / irritated - the dough should be portioned before refrigerating overnight. Had to scoop with spoon, pack into scoop, etc. It was so stiff that I was concerned there might be damage to the sweep part of the scoop while trying to loosen dough and drop onto cookie sheet.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to make a slice and bake type sugar cookie and would freeze the dough in rolls. I coat the outside in colored sugar before freezing which makes for a colorful cookie and then I frost the tops after baking.. They always turned out wonderfully. I would just slice the dough frozen. Chocolate chip cookie dough can also be frozen but you need to freeze them on a cookie sheet first and then place them in a bag.

And I always freeze my gingerbread molasses cookie dough. I roll them in balls and in sugar and then freeze them in a baggie. That way I can bake a cookie or two instead of making, and eating, a whole recipe. The sugar does not melt. It stays nice and crunchy on the cookies.

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
C catapault Try this recipe for chocolate chip cookies.

King Arthur's Essential Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie - you can halve this recipe to give it a try

3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup dark brown sugar - do not heavily pack
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silpats.
Cream the butter, sugars, corn syrup and vinegar in a mixer. Add eggs and mix until combined. Then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Beat in the vanilla, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Stir in the flour and chocolate chips.
Drop the dough by tablespoonful onto baking sheets.
Bake cookies for 10 minutes, until they are just set. (The middles might look a bit underdone.)
Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool.
My Notes: Feel free to sub margarine for half the butter, if you'd like. Also, I always chill the dough overnight, but the recipe does not call for chilling.

IMNsHO This makes a really good chocolate chip cookie! It's the only recipe I ever use anymore.