Bait for TNR

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Thought I would turn the tables, and ask all of YOU a question!  :)  For those of you who have conducted TNR, what different types of bait have you used?  I'm curious as to what your go-to regular baits are, and what you use for those cats who just aren't interested in the usual bait.

So, let's hear them: what are all the types of baits you've used?  What is usually the most successful?  What is the weirdest bait you've used?

-Amanda

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always start with tuna.  I use the kind in oil and dribble some of the oil with tiny amount of flaked tuna.  I have also used canned salmon and mackerel.  I had one cat that refused to enter the trap for tuna, salmon or mackerel, but went right inside for plain dry cat food!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Awesome answer!  SO funny about the dry cat food... you never know what will do the trick! 

-Amanda

melissa laninfa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The canned mackerel is awesome! The cats love it because it is SO STINKY. Ugh! I know people who swear by Publix Fried Chicken, too. I've even see people use catnip in addition to whatever food they're using.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandaaca

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I've heard people swear by fried chicken!  Never used it myself, but it's good to know that it's an option... :p

-Amanda

rungsat69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am in the process of feeding a couple feral or stray cats. I live next to a field, and I have noticed some Cats hanging out in there. I have started to feed them some Dry, Wet, Cat Food. Down the road when they get to trust me some I am going to  trap them and take them to the Vet. I happen to see one of them last night sitting and eating a can of Cat food. I stopped and watched for a few minutes  and then headed toward the site i have picked to feed them. I am not to familar with Cats. The first thing I don't  want to do is get bit, as i moved toward the Cat that was eating he saw me and took off and ran across the field a fast as he could. I am going to take my time with this by continuing to feed them until they start to feel comfortable and then try and catch them. Any help you could offer me would be great. I have finished one of the shelters I made, it will be getting super cold here pretty soon. 

Thanks 

Rich

Right now I have a service Dog named Buddy. I love him a lot and he loves me. Buddy is a Therapy dog that helps me daily.  

I am a disabled Vietnam Vet.

kittymomma1122

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I trapped my ferals with their regular canned food.  I tried Tuna, but I got a raccoon! We have raccoon, opossum, skunks and fox that live in a few acre wooded plot across the road from our subdivision. The cats were used to the normal food and feeding time. They went right in for it, unusual foods they wouldn't go for and left it for the wild life in the middle of the night.