Badly Bit

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blue bit me badly on the elbow tonight. So deep my thumb even hurts.
Trying to figure out what triggered it.
We had just stopped playing with a shoelace, I was watching TV, he was curled up next to me then bite and kept biting harder and harder.
His eyes closed, ears flat..not attacking and thrashing about, just dead still and biting. I had to dig my fingers into corner of his jaw to get him loose.
Bit puzzled what triggered it.
He is happily playing with his ball now like nothing happened but a bit wary of me because he knows he has done wrong.

Going to nut this out because this I would have expected a few months ago, not now because he has improved so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No wasn't that, just like he was trying out how hard he could bite,..wasn't an attack just bite.
Got an idea forming and joining dots but will have a bit of a think before making my mind up.
Keeps coming up with surprises this cat, good or bad.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he bit you that deep, you might want to see a doctor. Those deep puncture wounds from his fangs can get infected. I learned that the hard way when one of my cats nailed me on the thumb when I was trying to hand-feed him shortly after he came to live with me.

The involvement of your thumb from an elbow bite is troubling too. Perhaps nerves were involved.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Reading your old posts, Blue was basically a rescue from a "bad" home (my term, not yours) that you rehabilitated. He kind of looks a bit like a Bengal to me as well?

Anyway, my point being that maybe given his background . . . there isn't any grand explanation, he just might be lacking the benefit of a proper childhood that lingers in some way despite your excellent rehabilitation. I'm sure you would prefer a better explanation . . . but there isn't always one.

And yes, animal bites of all kinds often get infected. With a deep puncture wound, your chances of truly nasty infection are very high and you are much better off just going and getting antibiotics without waiting for it.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway, my point being that maybe given his background . . . there isn't any grand explanation, he just might be lacking the benefit of a proper childhood that lingers in some way
You are perfectly correct there, I have had to teach him to play, and many other things, he hasn't had a kitten life. And from his behaviour when I first got him been slapped around for any small infraction.
But otherwise he almost back to a normal cat.
I have reached a stage with him where he is jumping on my knee and starting to purr, which is great but he has issues if you get what I mean in returning affection and in this he tries hard.
After play and as you would probably know with a Bengal play is full on rough house and goes nonstop for a long time and when finished he gets all cuddly and relaxed, leans against me, gives head butts and then suddenly pulls back like he has shocked himself and allowed his guard down for a minute and that has annoyed or frightened him to a point where he sometimes goes and hides for a bit..
We are teetering between him being fully loving to being cautious and guarded and I think this is frustrating him, he is in an emotional no mans land at the moment and he doesn't know what to do. I think this is the reason for the bite.
But good or bad, this has shown me which direction to move in now with further rehab with him , which is hands off and let him sort it out.
PS: Went to clinic about an hour after the bite so all OK except i needed a tetanus booster..I hate shots..lol
Thanks for all your concerns.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what generation bengal he is? I understand Bengal lovers may disagree (strongly) but in some places only F5 generation or subsequent are considered domestic cats vs wild animals. So . . . not trying to start a debate or demonstrate my need to be educated . . . but perhaps this could be an issue as well.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blue bit me badly on the elbow tonight. So deep my thumb even hurts.
Trying to figure out what triggered it.
We had just stopped playing with a shoelace, I was watching TV, he was curled up next to me then bite and kept biting harder and harder.
His eyes closed, ears flat..not attacking and thrashing about, just dead still and biting. I had to dig my fingers into corner of his jaw to get him loose.
Bit puzzled what triggered it.
He is happily playing with his ball now like nothing happened but a bit wary of me because he knows he has done wrong.

Going to nut this out because this I would have expected a few months ago, not now because he has improved so much.
Ouch , hope you are okay , i do agree with V vince and Maria Bayote Maria Bayote , do go see a doctor asap , i only got scratched and bitten by a rabbit and it got infected!

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what generation bengal he is? I understand Bengal lovers may disagree (strongly) but in some places only F5 generation or subsequent are considered domestic cats vs wild animals. So . . . not trying to start a debate or demonstrate my need to be educated . . . but perhaps this could be an issue as well.
By following his papers and such I estimate he might be about a F8-9.. and yes sometimes the ALC does show.