"bad Trip" On Buprenorphine? :(

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Daryl.

So you've spoken with the Vet.......did you find out just what were the two drugs she used?

I have a feeling that the culprit may well have been the appetite stimulant. IF, as PushPurrCatPaws mentioned, it was Mirtazapine that he received, it has the potential for side effects that are the likes of what you described.......

Here's a reliable reference for you on Mirtazapine: Appetite Stimulants - Mirtazapine. There is a section below there on "Mirtazapine Side Effects" and immediately thereafter, "Mirtazapine and Serotonin Syndrome". I think some of that will ring familiar with you.

If it was Mirtazapine, a good idea will be to ensure that his Vet file is 'marked' to indicate he's not to have it in future.

If there's ever a need for an appetite stimulant, cyproheptadine (Periactin) in low dose would seem like a safer choice. That's covered at the same link - just scroll backwards there for it.

By now (if it were Mirtazapine) that will be out of his system and it would be safe to try the buprenorphine without any fear of a combination effect.

Personally, if he continues to demonstrate that same level of discomfort, I'd be tempted to try the buprenorphine again -starting with the smaller dose.

Two final points. You initially asked how long bupe stays in the system. The best I can say about that is that its best pain relieving effects last about 6 hours and diminish from there. The other thing relates to the hassle you experienced getting to see this preferred Vet. I'd suggest having a discussion with her towards ensuring that you do see her unless some emergency would preclude that.

Hope some of that helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi friend!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and the info. <3 My vet didn't mention what she gave him, but I didn't ask--it was just a quick chat over the phone before she had to head into surgery this morning. I'm sure I can / will ask--I just blanked on it this morning. I was preoccupied with the fact that she thought it was the meds (or one of them) and not something more serious.

In any case, Friend hasn't been in any apparent discomfort today, and certainly nothing like the hissing and growling I saw over the weekend. He's been sleeping on his back a lot and even let me rub his tummy (with a purr).

A friend also pointed out that he might still be sore from where the subcutaneous fluids were given (on his back) and / or on his sides when they got a urine sample with a needle (took three tries, unfortunately). So who knows? That might've also explained some of his aversion to being petted.

Anyway . . . knock on wood we're in the clear. <3 I might report back if things end up taking a wonky turn, but in the meantime, thank you all!

<3
Dyl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Friend's Friend

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes indeed, friend! :) Some of his behaviors are still . . . different, like his sleeping on my bed in broad daylight rather than his beloved bathroom sink, and being exceptionally cuddly at night, but I think those changes just happened to coincide with his getting sick and isn't related.

Otherwise, though, he seems back to normal. ^_^

Thank you all, once again, for your kindness and support!! <3 Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on out!

<3
Dyl.