Bad Reaction To Cheristin - Please Help

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a week ago we gave all four of our cats a topical flea treatment with cheristin, but only one has had a bad reaction

hes been heavily lethargic and has stopped eating, but seems otherwise fine

I've been reading the other cheristin horror stories on the site. is there any way he can be helped? the vets office that gave us the medicine refused to acknowledge that cheristin is what caused this, but hes not an outdoor cat and that's been the only change in his routine in the past week

can anything be done?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm going to reply to myself, sorry

hes always been a very active and healthy cat, hes been neutered, and all of our other cats are his siblings so I dont understand why this is only affecting him.

hes shown interest in food and toys (he played a bit last night with a hairbow) but he wont eat, and doesnt stay up or walk around for very long. I've only just now seen that hes starting trembling slightly. hes also visibly become skinnier

is there any chance he can come back from this? I know I've caught it late and I feel awful. is this a death sentence? can the vet help him?

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
few rev

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didnt mean to send that last message

he has a vet appointment tomorrow

can I do anything for him in the meantime?

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not entirely sure; I'm not usually in the house when they're fed, but I noticed he didnt eat this morning so it may have just been the past day or so.
he actually ate a bit of turkey after I posted this though, and seems to feel a bit better. hes asleep at my feet right now, though

also, cheristin's mother company agreed to pay for a blood test and general exam for him, so he has an appointment tomorrow

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you have a vet appointment tomorrow. Cats can't really go without eating for more than a few days. But I'm glad that he at least ate something. I'm so sorry this happened.

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do think he ate some earlier in the week but hes usually one of those cats that begs for more as soon as the food bowl is empty and he hasn't done that since probably the day after we treated him. I'm also really glad he ate some (and hasn't thrown it back up!)

he also groomed himself and his sister some, and played a bit again so I have hope he'll recover

thank you!

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he had his vet appt, they gave him an appetite stimulant and said he should be fine!

he also had all his tests done for free because elanco (the company that makes cheristin) agreed to pay for them!

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he still doesnt seem to be eating... he also fell off the steps a few days ago, but all of the cats do that at least once and they've all been fine so I didnt think anything of it....

he has no obvious injuries to his spine, head, or limbs and really doesn't seem to be in pain. the vet also didnt rlly see anything physically wrong with him but idk.....

we're going to be syringe feeding him chicken broth and he'll still take some turkey, and he had a bit of hamburger but hes still shaky and lethargic. anyone have literally any clue what could be happening?

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he wont take his regular food, and he only eats a tiny bit of anything else and then leaves it so idk if hes having trouble swallowing or if he has something wrong internally?

like, he seems to want to eat but loses interest very quickly

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've noticed he does this thing, after hes had a drink or eats a bit of something, he'll open his mouth wide and lick his lips and kind of throw his head forward, but hes not actually gagging and he hasn't thrown up

could he be having trouble swallowing? if his throat is swollen, it's likely the vet would have noticed when she looked in his mouth, right?

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hm. can I do anything about that?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nausea might be from having an empty stomach. The vet might be able to give him something for the nausea. Have you tried putting a little catnip on his food? That's how I get Demi to eat wet food that he doesn't like.

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we can definitely call in the morning and see if they can get us something! and no, but I'll definitely try it! ty!

binii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought u might want an update; hes back to normal now! he has his energy back and hes eating again :yess:

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I thought u might want an update; hes back to normal now! he has his energy back and hes eating again :yess:
Sorry I'm a little late to the party, I just read this post & the replies and I'm glad he is back to normal! Do you know what happened to him? It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, was the Cheristin possibly expired? I know it doesn't sound likely but accidents can happen. May I ask for your kitties name?