Bad Experience with Homeopathic Supplement

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever encountered serious side effects after administering a homeopathic supplement to your cat? I am extremely worried about my cat after giving him a respiratory med.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the kitty's reactions? I am not a vet but there are holistic online vets. I use a limited set of medicinal herbs for respiratory support, primarily marshmallow root and slippery elm bark and haven't had any problems except for lack of improvement with particularly virulent cases.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are the kitty's reactions? I am not a vet but there are holistic online vets. I use a limited set of medicinal herbs for respiratory support, primarily marshmallow root and slippery elm bark and haven't had any problems except for lack of improvement with particularly virulent cases.
I used Breathe Easy by BestLife4Pets. I only used one dose because I got nervous. Turns out, he was coming down with a pretty severe herpes outbreak. He has stopped eating which always scares me. We are doing the dreaded syringe feeding. He tolerates it well, as he always does with anything medical. We have been to the vet three times in the past month (ckd and hypertension) so I think the stress probably brought it out of hiding. He has struggled with herpes flares all his 16 years, and after seeing all the rave reviews about this product, I decided to try it out of desperation. Let’s face it, there is nothing offered by traditional medicine that truly helps herpes. It’s viral and you can throw antibiotics at it all day long just to have them wreak havoc on the immune system, and in our case cause horrific diarrhea. I just am not going there again. Anyhow, I think we are just going to have to ride it out, as we have done before. It is so maddening.

I am curious about slippery elm. Does it help any with the congestion?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had an older dog who was in very bad shape with cancer, and we used some homeopathic supplements with him, too. I was warned that an aggravation was possible, which was the temporary worsening of symptoms, which he did experience once. Due to your cats age and health issues as well as the outbreak, I'm wondering if that's part of what was happening.
It is so, so frustrating to have them be sick and not be able to do much except help them ride it out. :( I really hope he gets to feeling better soon.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a girl who had feline herpes. If your cat has stopped eating, you need to get to the vet for meds to clear up the congestion and treat the flare up. No at home supplements will help that. You can try steaming in the bathroom to open congested nasal passages and heating up canned or wet food to entice your kitty to eat, but I highly suggest the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a girl who had feline herpes. If your cat has stopped eating, you need to get to the vet for meds to clear up the congestion and treat the flare up. No at home supplements will help that. You can try steaming in the bathroom to open congested nasal passages and heating up canned or wet food to entice your kitty to eat, but I highly suggest the vet.
Believe me, this is not my first rodeo with this horrible stuff. We have seen the vet more than I care to think about. Please elaborate as to what miraculous product your vet recommends for congestion. There are antihistamines, but no decongestants that are safe for cats. And antibiotics do not work for viral infections. And obviously I have tried every “trick” known to man to get him to eat. We have spent cumulative hours in the bathroom with the shower running. What next?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our vet had us put our girl on a daily antihistamine. We also use Gentamicin or Tobramicin drops in her nose to help with congestion. We also gave her famciclovar to help keep her herpes symtoms in check. She really struggled when the seasons changed and that generally created herpes flares. We did several other things to help her such as running Feliway diffusers to keep stress levels down, following a fairly strict schedule to keep stress down, giving L-Lysine twice daily and feeling a mostly grain-free diet. We also supplemented with colloidal silver, one month on/one month off. We did about 1/4t a day split up into 2 doses. One of the best things we did was a culture and sensitivity test and discovered that she had an underlying psuedomonas infection and once we got that under control, her symptoms decreased. We also did the PCR URD test to rule out other upper respiratory diseases.