BAD cat toys

pozidan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey guys ive recently read about the laser pointer that even though he might be a fun and easy toy for humans, cat might get annoying because they cats really catch the point they're hunting/ i've started to use the pointer less and less but wonder if i should stop completely?

other toys that im not sure about the harm they might do to my little pixie is any toy with flickering light, are cats prone to epilepsy or something like that?, i read that cat eye sight receive different colors so im wondering if toys with flickering light might  annoy or hurt her...

and the last question about toys is using the kid soap buble toy, where you create soap bubbles in the air?, my cat seemed intrigued with that but to me it looks like shes a bit sad when they pop and disappear...anyone tried playing with  that with their cat

thanks for all replays :) 

vorpalangel79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as the laser pointer goes I've found over the years and through seven different fur-babies that there seem to be two classes of cats when it comes to this toy: those that tire of it relatively quickly when they realize they can't catch it and those that remain fascinated by the unending challenge. So I would say that if your cat still seems intrigued and doesn't just walk away and give up after a few minutes play away, although it is important to note that if you don't have one of the specially designed pet-safe laser pointers it is extremely important to make sure you never shine it in their eyes to avoid damaging their vision. Unfortunately I don't know anything about hope cat's eyes resppnd to different wavelengths and colors of light but that's a very interesting question since I've seen many cat toys that flash or blink when the cast interacts with them. I also don't know about soap bubbles made for children, especially if your cat is trying to bite/eat the bubbles like one of mine does; but my personal recommendation would be catnip bubbles made specifically for cats. My local Walmart carries small bottles in the pet section for $1 which is a great price to amount of playtime provided ratio in my opinion. Obviously all cats react to different stimuli individually but speaking for my own, they seem more perplexed and intrigued when the bubbled pop than disappointed; as if they're trying to figure out where they went and those darn, sneaky bubbles managed it, lol. They also seem quite proud when they are able to pop one themselves as if to say "Look Mom, I got it! Did you see?" As a final note one new toy that I've recently discovered in this ashe of modern technology are apps made for cats, mine particularly like Cat Alone and Cat Alone 2 (both available for Android devices on the Google Play Store) but there several different ones so you just have to download a few and see what your cat enjoys. I would also reccomend a tablet for this if that's an option as my cats seem ti have trouble with the small size of my phone's screen at times (even though it's a Galaxy S7 Edge, which I think is one of the biggest on the market). Anyway, hope this helps, good luck and happy playtime!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats lost interest in the laser pointer very quickly. 

I have tried the catnip bubbles and they were not impressed with those either. 

What they like is this wand toy. It makes a lot of noise but they love it. 
Wal Mart sells it too

My Sophie has been known to climb the bookshelf to get this toy. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've totally stopped the laser pointer play with my boy. He looks so frustrated when he cannot feel the light as he catches it. And it's not an interactive toy. It's more like a lazy man tool to entertain your cat. You can just sit at a your comfortable chair and while watching the television, the hand just move the laser pointer for the cat to chase and catch. There's no bonding at all with the cat.
I'm not sure if the laser light will cause any damage to the cat's eyes but imagine if the light was shone into our eyes, how do we feel? We'll be kind of blinded by the light temporarily and sometimes the glare last for awhile and it's not comfortable. So it may accidentally shine into the cat's eyes and I think the feeling is the same.

For me I choose to play with my boy when there is direct contact and interaction like playing ball with him. He likes to catch the ball in mid air and also chasing it and kicking it with his paws. This is just one of the games I spend time playing with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pozidan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i bought the laser pointer for my gf to be honest, hopefully she would play more with our kitty, but i ended up playing it when im too tired to run around with her.

i've got ton of toys, and im trying to switch every now and than some toys, trying new things, seeing what works and what not...her favorite games though even after all of what i try is just one specific ball, and cable tie 

which she loves to fetch and keep getting stuck under furniture...the flickering light thing is basically something we got out of a wedding and i thought she might enjoy and it might attract her attention, but than again the lights scares me a bit.

and of course i've got a cat fishing rod :) 
ill try finding the cat nip soap bubbles , i wonder if she'll enjoy it, its an intresting idea and would be better than being scared to get soap in her eyes

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

and the last question about toys is using the kid soap buble toy, where you create soap bubbles in the air?, my cat seemed intrigued with that but to me it looks like shes a bit sad when they pop and disappear...anyone tried playing with  that with their cat

I use kids' bubbles for my cats sometimes. They just watch the bubbles float around but don't bat at them or anything. However, my Aby goes nuts for the little bubbles that float out from the dish detergent bottle (for hand washing, not dishwasher)
I'm not sure why smaller dish detergent bubbles are more fascinating than kids' bubbles. I use unscented Seventh Generation environmentally safe / natural type detergent.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Noodles loved the laser pointer to the point Mooch rarely got a chance to play.  I always ended the game by tossing a toy and ending the dot on that. My mother's cats all love it. I can't say out of our 5 that any ever have appeared frustrated with it.  The cats know the sound of the plastic box its in and the chain its on.  My mother jingles the chain when one of her cats is outside not wanting to come in.  They come running; similar to how they come when a bag of treats is open.  

We have catnip bubbles.  Noodles likes them and will bat them and chatter at them.  Mooch hides. 

Other favorites are milk rings, mylar crinkle balls, small mice, da bird and the cat dancer.  Mooch likes to fetch the milk rings.  At our old house we had a garden tub and she'd bring them in there in the morning for us to flick.  it could be noisy while she chased them down in circles.  Mooch also liked just a flashlight beam.  She'd chase it in circles for a while.  

I can't leave anything with feathers, ribbon, string or tulle out.  Noodles will eat them.  

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lazer pointers are fine and an easy way to get kitty going when you are just home from work and tired. But you need to finish up with a catnip stuffie or a wand toy with something your pet can actually catch, bite, claw etc... to complete the hunting activity.