Bad breath

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Murphy has some missing teeth and broken yellow stained fangs.. it's causing him bad death breath. Any ideas on how to deal with this. His vet says he's just an old man with old man teeth. 15803226930033623097051128700291.jpg

Hes such a loveable boy. He has SO MUCH love to give! But his breath could kill flies. 🤢

There has to be something I give him.

15803227439596993550705511929549.jpg
He hated this photo but head butted me after and flopped in my lap. He has so much love to give you guys.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water additives are good for making yellow teeth white again, my Dutch is an example. I use Oratene and Oxyfresh. If he was checked and has no gum problems then he may just have old man teeth. I don't know if brushing is a consideration, he may be a little old for something new, but you never know! I know MY cats woudl claw my face off if I tried it.....

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Highly suggest a dental cleaning. How does his blood work look for anesthesia? If it checks out I would do it asap. Those canine teeth look like they are coming out of the gums too far, there could be resorptive lesions underneath which is extremely painful and there could be infection going on.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those canine teeth look like they are coming out of the gums too far, there could be resorptive lesions underneath which is extremely painful
Asking to learn. If there was something that is "extremely painful", wouldn't there be more symptoms? I know cats hide pain but I would guess there would be at least problems with eating like not actually eating?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking to learn. If there was something that is "extremely painful", wouldn't there be more symptoms? I know cats hide pain but I would guess there would be at least problems with eating like not actually eating?
From experience, Krista ate a very long time with bad teeth and the only hint I got that her teeth were bothering her was that she was peeing the walls. I mentioned this inappropriate peeing to the vet a couple years back when I had to get her shots redone for her registration. The first thing the doctor did was pop open her mouth and said, "thought so. The inappropriate peeing is a cry for help. Her teeth are hurting her." If the cat above eats dry food, it's possible he crunches once or twice and then swallows it mostly whole. His hunger may be exceeding his pain. But you don't want to wait until it doesn't. Bad breath is almost certainly a sign of his teeth going bad or an infection in his gums. February is dental awareness month. Your vet may offer a deal on the dental examination next month. If he hasn't had a recent dental examination under anesthesia, this would go further than water additives or teeth cleanings.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From experience, Krista ate a very long time with bad teeth and the only hint I got that her teeth were bothering her was that she was peeing the walls.
I don't mean not eating necessarily. My Hima has dental problems that is too risky to attempt to get treated for now due to her other health issues and I know it's bothering her. But when the pain is more severe than usual there are always additional symptoms like more drooling, squinting the eye on the side that hurts, stopping playtime mid-way time to time, eating less dry food at one sitting etc It was the extremely painful part that got me confused as I would guess there would be more symptoms.

Crazy8catlady Crazy8catlady , if he has infection in mouth and if dental treatment at the vet isn't possible for now, (the right) antibiotics might make you give some time. That would at least decrease the bad breath too. But a vet visit is needed obviously.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazy8catlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His molars seem fine to me.. he's missing all his tiny teeth between upper and bottom fangs and a few on the sides... He looks like Hillbilly Joe.