🍄 Bacteria Overgrowth / Bad Breath: anything natural to fight it ?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys,

My cat over time developes some bacteria overgrowth, bad breath and some lose stools.

It was completely fixed switching to a raw diet (perfect breath and stool) but that caused vomiting and constipation !

So I switched again to canned only, Buffalo Basics. That stopped the vomiting, gave him regular BM, no hairballs.

BUT after weeks of using it, he got some bacteria again, bad breath etc

I think it's because it has prebiotics/fiber/fruits that FEED the bacteria.

Something I'm going to try is to mix some RAW and some CANNED to hopefully get the benefits from both and avoid the cons. But it's just faith and hope.

I was wondering if there was some supplement or something else to add to the diet to keep the bacteria at bay.

Thanks so much

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacteria overgrowth is basically an infection. I'd recommend a vet visit, with you taking in a recent fecal sample, have the vet give your kitty a thorough exam (and mouth exam, too!). It could be that he really needs antibiotics. It is likely not a food issue (raw or canned).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't like to rush to the vet for any minor thing honestly

He is always been very sensitive and if I said that going to raw cleaned all his system, got amazing stool and fresh breath means that it is related to food and diet

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

He is always been very sensitive and if I said that going to raw cleaned all his system, got amazing stool and fresh breath means that it is related to food and diet
Well when bad breath is involved it COULD be a dental issue or something ELSE HEALTH related..n NOT the food

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I stand by what I said.

He could have dental issues, peridontal disease, respiratory issues, a bacterial infection, sinus issues, any number of systemic diseases can cause bad breath, too. That's just a short list. The fact that you are worried about it, enough to post about it, to me suggests it is not a minor thing and a vet visit could clear things up. You can rule things out for sure. Maybe it is just the Buffalo Basics food brand; maybe not. I don't know what other foods you have tried, how old your cat is, if there are any other issues the cat is also having, etc. Your vet would (hopefully) know these things, if your cat is seen regularly. When was your cat's last vet visit?
:hugs:

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks
Any direct experience with it ?

Not for the symptoms you describe.
I do however, give one of our cats a teaspoon of ACV daily which started due to UTI symptoms. Which, in turn stopped about a week after the 1st teaspoon. He's had UTI's before and vet treated those. Since the ACV thing, he's not had a UTI, or any symptoms of one....He also doesn't eat near as much grass as he used to.
With this cat, I'm not sure he'll eat his food without ACV in it now.... He seems to actually like it.
OR maybe there's something else to it. If he eats something that upsets his stomach (changes his movements in any way)...he will NOT eat whatever it was again. Maybe he somehow knows the smell or taste of his food with ACV in it makes him feel better, or at least not feel bad?
He'll gobble up most anything once, not picky at all. But if it comes out the other end later than it should, or runny, or just different. He won't touch that food again.
Oh, and he only eats raw meat as well.

Also, I'm not real big on holistic, home made remedies/medicines.
But I'm not big on taking this particular cat to the vet either.
I knew it wouldn't hurt him, and as it turns out, I think it actually works.

Last edited: