Bacteria from Raw

catlover1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have always wanted to start a raw diet but I just needed to ask something. First of all, I have a compromised immune system. I know to handle the meats just as I would  for myself ( even though I'm a vegetarian, I think raw is the best way to go ) and I know this might sound a weird, but will it be safe for the cats to lick me? 1 out of the 3 cats is a licker and she will just come up to you, lick you, and run away like she's SO stealthy! I also have 4 dogs so I was just wondering if it would be a huge problem with bacteria. If there is a problem, can I do something to prevent it? I want to do what's best, but I don't want to get sick and not be able to do this for them. As you can tell, I'm new to this raw diet! Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

missriss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean, as long as she doesn't lick you then you lick  the same spot I imagine even if there was bacteria you would be ok. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be concerned. Cats have acidic mouths and stomachs and can manage much stronger bacteria loads than we can. Remember they lick their rears and then lick you, so eating raw meat isn't that much different. The best thing you can do is just practice basic hygiene. Wear gloves when you make or prep food. Feed cats in stainless steel or ceramic bowls or plates on hard floors you can wipe up. Wipe everything down with sanitation wipes (I use seventh generation).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover1028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! I guess I do have to remember that they lick their rears and then they lick me.