Backyard Breeders

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also to reply to 1catoverthelines quote here:[given that she's a GC and International GC Persian breeder, this was offered first-hand] You flatter me. My boy, Jack is a grand premier (neutered), 2 time regional winner and was the highest scoring silver and golden Persian GP in the world for CFA 2 years running but that is not an official title though. I am a very small fish in a very large pond with many surpassing us in titles.
That, "small fish," modesty tells a good tale - that a breeder needn't have half a dozen lines in as many programs to be competitive, as long as he or she has focus, and as long as their goal is to improve the breed - exactly what you stated above, and exactly what you've done. Camie (Grand Champion Posiepurrs Camellia) is one of the most beautiful Shaded Silvers out there, with stunning eye colour, and her Father, Boo (Grand Champion Rdreams Golden Bamboo of Posiepurrs) - from whom she inherited that eye colour - was RW Best in Color Class, Best Shaded and the highest scoring Shaded; I see you forgot to mention that.

;)

The point here is that focus is of paramount importance, and a breeder who knows exactly the trait he or she is after, can manage to "Grand" consistently with a very small cattery. The opposite is also true: a breeder who's simply hoping for "something good" to come along, with no specific focus, can breed a dozen lines and never have a winner or a breakthrough.

For those who wish an illustration of this, a simple Google image search for "Posiepurrs" should bring up images of Lynda's Persians. Do they have good conformation and structure? Yes - and so do a thousand other Persians in the shows. Are their coats gorgeous? Of course, but then again, they're not alone there either. Eye colour? That's a different matter. Camie and her Father, Boo, have the sort of eye pigmentation that comes along so rarely that you have to look twice... almost the colour of Chrome Tourmaline - and it's an improvement for the breed that sets these two GCs apart in the rings. Judges recognise it - and no doubt sophisticated buyers will as well. It's a single trait, but a single trait can make the difference between, "good," and, "great."

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have to amend my statement somewhat. Truthfully by what I said, I started out as a BYB. I had colorpoint Persians and wanted to breed and show. However this was before the internet and could NOT find a mentor to help. I made sure everyone was extremely healthy, the cats were registered with CFA, and practically interrogated any prospective buyers. What changed is when I attended a cat show locally and realized my cats were not show quality. I spayed and neutered everyone and started searching for Breeder/show quality silver and goldens. Personally, I believe the only reason to breed should be to improve the breed and to have a cat to show. I could never again just breed a litter just to have kittens ( even as much as I LOVE having kittens around) without having an end purpose. I also truly feel that if a breeder is doing it right vet bills, genetic testing, food, etc) they probably won't make a profit.
I would hate to see the many distinct and historically rich breeds of cats vanish under the veil of adopt don't shop.
The good breeders have a waiting list of more clients than kittens and don't strive to fill orders. You get your kitten when one becomes available. A misunderstood thought in breeding is you can start with inferior stock and work you way up. ( I am not referring to you) and along the way create cannon fodder. ( what I called horses bred by unethical people and often ended up going over the scale at local auctions ) Profit in breeding usually only comes after decades if you're breeding to preserve the breed. I am fascinated by cat shows but it's not my cup of tea to participate in. I did start following a dollface Persian breeder because they're just so darned cute. And if I had the room for another cat I might be tempted. I was just looking for some clues about Mercy because of some of her personality traits.

Also to reply to 1catoverthelines quote here:[given that she's a GC and International GC Persian breeder, this was offered first-hand] You flatter me. My boy, Jack is a grand premier (neutered), 2 time regional winner and was the highest scoring silver and golden Persian GP in the world for CFA 2 years running but that is not an official title though. I am a very small fish in a very large pond with many surpassing us in titles.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew that Posiepurrs had posted a thread featuring Camie, and just now ran across it. The "eyes" definitely have it:

Camie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kind of off topic, 1CatOverTheLine (or any one else) can you recommend and good websites or books for people wanting to learn more about cat genetics? I've read a lot online but was hoping maybe more experienced people would have some recommendations

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of off topic, 1CatOverTheLine (or any one else) can you recommend and good websites or books for people wanting to learn more about cat genetics? I've read a lot online but was hoping maybe more experienced people would have some recommendations
Messybeast has well-vetted information, and a brief overview of the gene loci all in one spot here:

Genes and Alleles Summary

but it really boils down to the extent of your experience in genetics. A molecular Biologist will need a different slant than someone with a basic Bachelor of Science degree. I've actually considered asking StefanZ StefanZ and @abyeb to collaborate on an article on feline genetics - something like, "Why Does My Cat Look Like This?" in two parts - for those who just want the basics, as well as for those who want as much breed-specific information as they can find - but I'm not certain that The Cat Site would have any interest, or that it's the right place for something of that nature.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Count me in as interested for that article. If you do one not on here please send me a link. :wave3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that is a great idea, and would definitely read it!

I am definitely not a molecular biologist or have a BA in science, but I do find the how and the why my cat looks the way it does extremely fascinating. So atm I am trying to gather as much information from as many different places as I can, although I must admit that I have to go back and re-read some things multiple times before I really understand it.
Thanks so much for getting back to me

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Messybeast has well-vetted information, and a brief overview of the gene loci all in one spot here:

but it really boils down to the extent of your experience in genetics. A molecular Biologist will need a different slant than someone with a basic Bachelor of Science degree. I've actually considered asking StefanZ StefanZ and @abyeb to collaborate on an article on feline genetics - something like, "Why Does My Cat Look Like This?" in two parts - for those who just want the basics, as well as for those who want as much breed-specific information as they can find - but I'm not certain that The Cat Site would have any interest, or that it's the right place for something of that nature.

Count me as very interested.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like an interesting idea. My part would perhaps be not of giving deep wells of wisdom, but perhaps a pedagogical polish; what is reasonable for an interested cat owner. Even although I HAD read biology and natural sciences, the deeps you express are often beyond me. So, if we want an interested average cat owner to have use of the article, we must downsize it, make it more pedagogical. Make it in two parts, as you say. The basic for keen amateurs and the deeping up for the really advanced.

Why, Im think such an article would find place here in the Catsite. Im think @Anne wants to be in.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed, Stefan, and thanks for replying. Yes - a basic overview and a slightly more advanced form, perhaps for anyone considering breeding at some future date.

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMO, a backyard breeder is anyone who is not working exclusively to improve the breed. There are too many animals in shelters "just to have a litter". It doesn't matter how clean you keep them, or how well you feed them, or how much health testing you have done, or that they have vaccine records. (Almost all of this should be done anyway with pet animals)

An ethical breeder will be showing or (in dogs....showing and or working their animal) to prove that they are breed worthy. Titles and ribbons aren't just for fun. They prove that an animal meets the specific requirements for that breed. Or that they have shown exemplary performance. Under several different judges, on several different days usually.

Pedigrees and registration is also very important to ethical breeders. What you see in front of you isn't always what you will get when that animal reproduces, so it is important to know the pedigree behind what is being bred. This can provide you with health and temperament information too. You dont want to breed into lines that have known health or temperament issues. As a buyer, this should be of utmost importance. You want the healthiest, closest to standard animal that you can get. It would be hard for a breeder to track this back very far without pedigree information.

This is just the short list of things that I would look for and that I would expect my breeder to be knowledgeable about. Good luck. ☺

Last edited: