Back to the site, and with a new issue... Feleuk...

lucatgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello wonderful feline lovers; it's been almost 3 months since my beloved Yanny crossed the rainbow and not a single day goes by without missing her, but I'm getting better.

My concern today is a different one... a kitten followed one of my coworkers and even though she wanted to keep him, she couldn't since her dog just passed, she's still mourning and she knows nothing about kittens/cats. She said that since I already had 2 ... and it was also black like my baby girl... anyway, I ended up with this kitten who might be a bit older than 3 months, very malnourished, very sweet and very avid of human contact.

Well, today I took him to the vet... test shows that he's been exposed to the virus of feline leukemia, but to be totally sure that he has it, I have to wait 3 or 4 weeks and retest... did I mention I have 2 other cats???? Lucky's almost 20 y/o and the doctor told me that old cats are not very prone to catch the virus. Minu is about 5 or 6 y/o she's been vaccinated but not every year, meaning, Monday morning she's getting a boost.

I was reading about feline leukemia, and as contagious as it is, it is not an airborne virus, but transmitted by saliva, blood, urine or feces. I thought if I keep their food separated and their litter boxes also separated, I stand a good chance to keep him if he's ill. My older cats don't like to be around him, and he only wants to be with humans. They also don't like to use the same box (even my older two don't share, they like their own).

I need some advises, some recommendations please!!!!!

Thank you all!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not too up on FeLV, but maybe this article will help you out:  http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/health_information/brochure_felv.cfm

Additionally, IF it turns out that he truly does have it, then maybe you could start up a new thread with a title like" FeLV and Non-Felv cats in same household" or something like that to try to draw out members who have some experience with that