Back to Dry on Accident

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Long story short, I've been the sole feeder of our Koda boy for the last few months trying to transition him off of kibble but this afternoon (3rd feeding of the day) I wasn't feeling well and I convinced my husband to feed him. (Freeze dried raw)

I went to feed him this evening and he wouldn't touch his food - which is extremely out of character, he LOVES this stuff. Come to find out, the re-hydration step got lost when my hubs fed him. :headshake: (which then led to a lecture for my husband lol)

In an effort to get him to eat anyway I gave him some dry crumbles on the side which he gobbled up and THEN ate the hydrated food.

How bad, would you say, would it be to give him a lil dry and a lil wet for each meal? Or some wet meals, some dry meals? All the same food, just different levels of moisture.

p.s. when I re-hydrate the food he will leave about 10%, when he ate it dry he licked up the CRUMBS. Also, he gets almost a full cup of water via food right now and then also drinks throughout the day - I'm not concerned about him missing out on that.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try mixing a little dry into the wet leaving a few on top to get him to eat the food then gradually use less dry. Hopefully in a few weeks you can eliminate all the dry but even if you can't, the quantity of dry will be minimal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try mixing a little dry into the wet leaving a few on top to get him to eat the food then gradually use less dry. Hopefully in a few weeks you can eliminate all the dry but even if you can't, the quantity of dry will be minimal.
I don't know why I didn't think of this and I feel a little silly - it's all the same food. This morning and lunch time I put the water in the bowl first THEN food so the stuff on top stayed dry and he ate every single bite and drank all the water. <3