Back Legs Not Always Working, Lump On Tail

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Looking for input.
Maybe two weeks ago I noticed my 14 year old cat's back legs were not working too well. She was dragging a leg, staggering. Five minutes later she's running around the house like nothing happened. I examined her and did notice a claw was sort of torn, so I thought maybe she got caught on the scratching post and struggled to get free.
Last night we were in the same room and I saw her walking around with her back hunched and her tail was completely flipped back, so it was like a circle across her back. She looked like she does when she's going to poop. I watched her and then her back legs started to wobble again. Five minutes later, she's back to normal.

She is hard to catch but loves being groomed so I got the brush out and she came over. I felt a good sized lump on her tail, maybe 3 inches up from the base of it. She made a little noise when I pressed it and obviously didn't want me touching it.
She seems fine otherwise, eyesight is good, eating and drinking lots.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of tumor, pressing on a nerve.

Or is she having small strokes?

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning.
Thanks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - I'm sending you and your baby all of my best thoughts and prayers that it is something the vet is familiar with and can take care of :vibes: :crossfingers: :heartshape:

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
Looking for input.
Maybe two weeks ago I noticed my 14 year old cat's back legs were not working too well. She was dragging a leg, staggering. Five minutes later she's running around the house like nothing happened. I examined her and did notice a claw was sort of torn, so I thought maybe she got caught on the scratching post and struggled to get free.
Last night we were in the same room and I saw her walking around with her back hunched and her tail was completely flipped back, so it was like a circle across her back. She looked like she does when she's going to poop. I watched her and then her back legs started to wobble again. Five minutes later, she's back to normal.

She is hard to catch but loves being groomed so I got the brush out and she came over. I felt a good sized lump on her tail, maybe 3 inches up from the base of it. She made a little noise when I pressed it and obviously didn't want me touching it.
She seems fine otherwise, eyesight is good, eating and drinking lots.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of tumor, pressing on a nerve.

Or is she having small strokes?

We have an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning.
Thanks.

Hello:

Does the lump feel at all warm to the touch? It could be an abscess. The wobbling legs worry me. I wonder if she's got a nerve pinch in her spine. But that wouldn't explain the intermittent wobbling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet yesterday morning. Bottom line is he doesn't know. The weird thing is the lump wasn't on the tail anymore. I didn't feel it and he didn't either. We are doing some basic blood work and the results will be in today. My guess is that it will come back fine.

The possibilities he threw out there was something with the brain but it would involve an MRI and other tests. At her age, if it were a tumor, I wouldn't do anything like surgery. She is such a fearful cat to begin with.
The other possibility he mentioned was arthritis in the spine and that perhaps she moves a certain way that hurts and it takes a moment to right herself.

The fact that within minutes after these episodes she's running around fine and going up and downstairs, jumping up on things rules out a lot of other issues.
I will have to see if she ever does it again, if I can videotape it.

THANK YOU. Just venting this scary thing here to all of you helps me a lot.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Possibly arthritis. My cat has some lumps on his back (and head) that seem to come and go...I think it is like humans... arthritis. You know how your grandma might have swollen hands due to arthritis?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it is arthritis, I highly recommend getting some New Zealand Antler Velvet capsules. I have an arthritic knee and it has helped the pain immensely. The reason I recommend New Zealand sourced is that they do not have any cases of deer or elk with chronic wasting disease (prion disease similar to mad cow) as we do in the US and Canada. And as far as I know, the US sourced antler velvet capsules are not lab tested to be free of prions, since the actual animal's brain must be tested.

Anyway, New Zealand Antler Velvet is great for arthritis.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
L Libby. Is the NZ Antler Velvet preferrable to CanEva which my vet has been telling me to get for my dog? Now that I am reading their website quickly, I see nothing about prions...which is all he would need to contend with.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L Libby. Is the NZ Antler Velvet preferrable to CanEva which my vet has been telling me to get for my dog? Now that I am reading their website quickly, I see nothing about prions...which is all he would need to contend with.
There are cases of Chronic Wasting disease in the wildlife in Canada (elk, deer, etc) so I've read that it's really best to get the antler velvet from New Zealand since those prions can be present in the antlers too.

Chronic Wasting Disease Prions in Elk Antler Velvet

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl tuxedo of unknown age (about 12-13) also this wk has back/hind leg pain. Walks a few feet & lays down. Vet saw her tonite & thinks arthritis as worn to bone on the right leg, I think. I need talk to this new lady vet in AM, as unclear whats going on. Will report as soon as I can on Sat, morn.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Follow up....my vet gave me CanEva to try so I cautiously started it but it gave my dog explosive diarrhea, so that was the end of it.