Back Claws

katyfox

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, my Romy has been front declawed. But he still has his back claws. I was wondering, are they in need of a trim? He doesn't seem to always retract them, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. They aren't too sharp and he has still been maintaining them. Here are a few pics, do they look alright?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he'll let you trim them, yes, it would be a good idea. Indoor cats don't wear their back claws down like outdoor cats do. They don't look terrible but they could use a trim.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amalie is front declawed and I notice when she doesn't put her claws away, in my leg, painfully so. For the most part she gets to keep them but I will take the clippers and blunt the tips by clipping the pokies off. I don't have to do rear nails for any of my other cats who weren't front declawed, but ya know you take in strays, and you work with things that someone else may have done.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If he'll let you trim them, yes, it would be a good idea. Indoor cats don't wear their back claws down like outdoor cats do. They don't look terrible but they could use a trim.
I would tend to agree. :thumbsup: We haven't adopted a cat without front claws in a long time so it's hard for me to remember what we did regarding the back claws. But I think the above advice is very reasonable.