Bachs Rescue Remedy?

xheena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I've known about Bach's Rescue Remedy for years, I even took it for awhile when I was having panic attacks and it worked great but I've never thought of giving it to my kitties in that situation. It sure is nice to know - we care for a large feral colony and are volunteering with the feral cat coalition sending them to be spayed/neutered and returned. We've have 2 or 3 cats who went into a full panic when the trap door closed and several who've just rowled the whole time - being trapped is stressful for them all but there are some that just don't do well at all. We even lost one a couple wks after her spay because she just never shook off the shock-the vet couldn't find any other problems. Thankx for all the great info here!!

Here's the url with info on rescue remedy--
www.bachcentre.com/centre/38/rescue.htm

xheena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I've known about Bach's Rescue Remedy for years, I even took it for awhile when I was having panic attacks and it worked great but I've never thought of giving it to my kitties in that situation. It sure is nice to know - we care for a large feral colony and are volunteering with the feral cat coalition sending them to be spayed/neutered and returned. We've have 2 or 3 cats who went into a full panic when the trap door closed and several who've just rowled the whole time - being trapped is stressful for them all but there are some that just don't do well at all. We even lost one a couple wks after her spay because she just never shook off the shock-the vet couldn't find any other problems. Thankx for all the great info here!!

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catspride asked about St. John's Wort. As Sandie mentioned, it will take a couple of weeks to have an effect. So, Bach's Rescue Remedy is better for immediate stress & panic and St. John's Wort is better for long term mood regulation.

I used St. John's Wort with an extraordinarily aggressive feral I was trying to rehabilitate. It worked wonders with him. I also used it with a cat who seemed depressed about the addition of a new cat to the family. Again, it seemed to help her as well. All in all, St. John's Wort helps the person or animal feel more at peace with the world and with the self.

p.s. In humans it works really well with mild to moderate depression and with irritability and frustration. The key is to take it daily and give it a couple of weeks to take effect.

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This has been a very, very useful discussion. I intend to track it down here and try it on my several behavior problem cats. My old matriarch who is perennially depressed and angry over the expansion of the cat and dog population, a young female that always seems to fight with everyone (I had taken her to the vet several times for checkups, but all seems OK), and two hyper-aggressive males (in site of neutering) who launch unexpected attacks on cats, dogs and me when the get frustrated with life -- one of the male cats, Lucky, can't afford these tempers. He had three operations to repair a crushed pelvis and an unattached thigh bone. He is in some discomfort, although he deals with that pretty well, but it doesn't help anything if he gets into fights with the other cats because he has aches and pains. Having arthritis, I know the temptation to fight with everyone very well, but I can deal with mine with meditation. Poor Lucky does lie next to me when I meditate, and seems calmer after, but he can't always shake off the chronic discomfort.

So thank you everyone for websites and information and the uses for Bach Remedy. And thanks to TheCatSite for sponsoring it. A one-stop learning experience for almost any question I might have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to move this to the top as someone was asking about St. Johns Wort and there is some good info here.

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Patricia

Thanks for letting me know about this thread. It is really informative.I have used St. Johns Wort for myself but never thought of using it for an animal.

catspride

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, Swalker, I will keep you posted as soon as I can locate the stuff. I am reasonably sure that it will be available in Beer-Sheva, but I will phone Netivot (much closer to me) just in case. The new Russian community there has inspired to local pharmacy to stock all kinds of natural medicines and teas, and this sounds right down their alley.

Thanks again to everyone who gave such good advice.