Babies Dying

Kallie kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kallie had kittens (3) three days ago and the where doing good till today so far 2 have died and kids are freaking out is there any tging i should be doing PLEASE HELP

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you weighing them daily? Is there a vet nearby? We have no idea the health of your cat (genetically, not just a check up at the vet) or of the male she mated with. There is not much to go on here. Some cats just aren't meant to have babies, some cats aren't healthy or old enough for it either, or too old in some cases...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kallie kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry. Do they seem to be nursing well? Is mom mostly staying with them?

How many are left?

Sometimes there are genetic birth defects internally that we cannot see that cause deaths like this.

Kallie kitty Kallie kitty
They seemed to be doing good last night but when i woke up this morning one was by its self and i noticed it wasnt moving good and cold so i go it put it on my warm pack and it passed on like 2 hrs latter the other 2 seemed to be fine went to store and came back and another one looked the same way and passed in about a hour and half they seem to have been feeding good and she spendas a lot of time with them mom and dad both where Feral tryed ro bottle feed all three of them first 2 was probably ro late but none would take the bottle

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is probably something going on. You can try with smearing something containing glucose sugar on their lips and gum. It will probably be white caro syrup or honey, solved in water.
Not seldom the "fading kitten syndrome" is basically low blood sugar, so getting glucose sugar may help.

You can even try to give them such a sweetened water to drink with a dropper. They cant grow on this, but this will keep them alive for a couple of days, nourishmentwise

Did they seem to grow nicely?

Another try beside this with this mentioned above, is if you handraise them (here the last survivor) with goats milk or kmr.
Occasionally it happens there is a fault on moms milk, poisoning them... So the only hope is to get them to eat something else instead.

Kallie kitty Kallie kitty

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely take a dropper and gently give the remaining kitten very small amounts of kitten formula at a time. It sounds like they weren't getting enough to eat. They may have been premature too. The only way to tell is to get a scale that would weigh the one you have left, and make sure it is gaining every day. and what it's weight is now to determine if it is premature.
My heart goes out to you and your children.....

Ruby3440

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is could also be that there was just something wrong with the kittens that you could see so she moved them out to give the rest of the kittens a better chance to survive. My family has that happen where we knew the 2 of her boys probably wouldn't make it yet she was moving her girls as well. Well not even a week later they were all dead and there was nothing we could do about it. We tried everything. So she could definitely tell something was wrong.

The kittens were born at the shelter and were about 4 weeks old. So it definitely wasn't mother milk that was the problem.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being older when they died (the four week olds) was most likely something genetic or distemper. I have lost whole litters of kittens to distemper, they were too young to vaccinate, though we did anyway in a last ditch effort, while the mother survived because she had been vaccinated when she was young (she was unknown, a stray) or had survived distemper when she was young. I've also had young mothers die too, I wishh people would realize this when they dump their cats into a unknown territory and think everything will turn out! There are just too many diseases and dangers out there....

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good. A good tip is to weigh him every day, so you dont need to guess if he gains, but you KNOW for sure...
Experienced caretakers are often OK with just estimating, but for a not experienced, the scale is an important help.
Best if the scale is in grammes.