Azaleas and rhododendrons

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For 8 years my cat has enjoyed my backyard. Recently he's been diagnosed with IBD. The yard has azealas along the sides of the yard in front of the fence. In the back are ferns and in the center rose beds. Also around the front patio we have a very large rhododendron with mature azealas. My question is could they be harming him? I've never seen him eat any of them but he does rest near and at times under them. Does anyone know if casual contact could have given him IBD?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, IBD is caused an uncontrolled inflammation response by the body. It's usually caused by the immune system overproducing all those various T cells and stuff for some reason. Casual contact with plants or anything does not cause IBD. Kind of like saying a plate full of sweet treats will cause diabetes in anyone who sits near it. Ingestion of things that don't agree with the inflammed gastrointestinal tract will cause a flare up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm so frustrated and looking for anything to understand if I am not seeing something. Do you know if these plants may be hurting him? I just read they are toxic if cats ingest but if he cleans himself after being outside is that the same?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. Your cat cleaning himself after going outside will not cause IBD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I wasn't talking about IBD but a gastrointestinal response from cleaning himself after laying in flower beds with azealas and rhododendron. I've read these two flowers if ingested can cause gastrointestinal issues. I just was musing over the possibility that he may be having additional issues because I've inadvertentlymissed something that may be worsening his symptoms. I understand IBD and the organs involved. Sometimes I guess I don't type as fast as I'm thinking . Thank you for your response