AZ - Man faces jail for feeding ferals

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
It is sad. I mean, much as anyone would want to abide by the rules, what shall any kind-hearted human do when he sees a hungry cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why we need more education and funding for TNR
What is needed is a set of rules for the protection of the colonies in all States, like there are in good part of Europe.
The best would be something like we have over here, where the town councils have to pay for the spaying of the females if cats are in colonies.
I have a feral cats colony, nearly all the female cats have been spayed on the town council.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS so sad......my own town in Nebraska has an ordinance that prohibits the feeding of feral/wild animals, Birds too!? I guess they think if we don't feed they will just go away, sure, they starve to death! I continue to take them in and feed them, I guess I 'own' a lot of cats. They are trying to pass an ordinance to limit the amount of animals owned too. Thank God we have a shelter director, Lori Priestess, that knows and advocates for TNR. I ahve seen city traps in ther parks that have big signs saying do not mess with these traps, we are controling the feral cat population. I always trip them and put up another sign saying, instead of killing an innocent animal, try TNR!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It IS so sad......my own town in Nebraska has an ordinance that prohibits the feeding of feral/wild animals, Birds too!? I guess they think if we don't feed they will just go away, sure, they starve to death! I continue to take them in and feed them, I guess I 'own' a lot of cats.
Over here it is forbidden to feed town pidgeons, those who live in urban areas, because they tend to proliferate and make "their business" on buildings and monuments.
There are fines for those who feed them, but in my life I only know of a person who got fined, and the next day was there again. In cities like Milan and Venice, where pidgeons are thousands, the rules are stricter, but people still ove to take a photo of them feeding the birds.
I do feed the pidgeons in my town every now and then.

It is also forbidden to leave food to wild animals in the woods or in the parks, but there's no law enforcement enough to make people observe the rules.
It is not forbidden to have bird feeders at home, though.

They are trying to pass an ordinance to limit the amount of animals owned too.
I have heard of something similar in my area. If I'm correct, not more than 9 cats and 5 dogs per household, but again, nobody really cares.

I ahve seen city traps in ther parks that have big signs saying do not mess with these traps, we are controling the feral cat population. I always trip them and put up another sign saying, instead of killing an innocent animal, try TNR!
That's fantastic!!! :clap2:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can join the chorus. :angryfire: Although there IS a semi-happy ending.

A small "town" that's, for all practical purposes, part of the city I live in passed a law virtually banning "the feeding of wildlife and stray animals." And I'm not exaggerating as it was widely reported that it was done bc a SINGLE disgruntled neighbor stirred up the town council vs talking to anyone about alternatives. The law stated that you could "feed your own pets" and allowed for "stationary bird feeders." It even banned putting out water for wild and stray animals (altho no one seemed to be upset with bird baths?!?!?) Many people pointed out that just bc someone's "own cat" is allowed to be fed outside without being fixed (whether indoor/outdoor or outdoor only), that this "owned" animal can obviously contribute to overpopulation as much as a feral cat. People who violated the law didn't technically "ban" feeding outside or prescribe face jail time, but had fines that might as well have been a ban as so many couldn't afford to keep stacking up fines (who can?). Fines were $250 for 1st offense, $500 for 2nd, and $1,000 for 3rd. And these fines were each separate, so someone caught feeding (or even putting out water) feral/stray cats 3 times would rack up $1,750 in fines.

Luckily, enough people raised a stink - - and animal organizations stepped in - - that the law was amended to allow people who were "actively trapping" and doing their "due diligence" to TNR could avoid the fines. But - - ONE complaint and the feeder was back to facing those exorbitant fines.

No word on whether everyone removed bird baths from their yards. :frustrated:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I look for my state to pass it soon. :mad: I am always getting in trouble by the police for feeding feral cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
In the Alley Cat Allies newsletter, they always give locations in the USA where cities are trying to ban the feeding of ferals, or want to institute trap and kill policies, etc. Not so civilized......

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that the call it Purrs To and Hisses To and usually name a few places in each category.