Average weight?

bennyg19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey! New member here :) I was thinking this would be a good place to ask what the average weight would be for an adult exotic shorthair? Benny is two years old right now and what would be a healthy weight for him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
This might help for your cat specifically;

Scroll right or left on the photo, and click on the chart to bring it into focus;

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's not about numbers at all, it's about body condition. Cats can vary quite a bit in weight, regardless of breed. Put your hands on them, do they feel nice and lean, bony, or "fluffy", look for a stomach tuck from the side and above, feel along ribs/hipbones especially in LH cats were it's harder to tell weight. If you're still wondering, ask your vet, they should be good judges at body condition score.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, since there are so many breeds, etc. that determine the size and weight it is hard to determine. I go by looks. Many cats develop an abdominal pouch too that makes them look bigger then they are. You can quickly determine a too skinny one, you will see hip bones jutting out and can feel the ribs too easily. I keep my three on the chubby side, not huge, but 'fluffy' because they have leukemia and can become deathly sick at times and quit eating for a while. I like the extra fat on them to get them through. They are all 6 and 7 now, and since I've been keeping them strictly indoors and giving daily DMG, almost a year since their last decline.