Aventi Mellows - any experience using it?

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats occasionally sprays because of Toms coming into the yard. I've taken all the steps that I can to prevent them from coming around, but the way my house and yard is built means it's impossible to keep them out completely. My alpha cat, Donatello, has sprayed somewhere in the house around once/month since these cats came into the neighborhood.

He hit my computer, a coffee maker, tried for the stove, a mirror, a wall, and this month it was the couch. It's fine enough and cleaned up with enzyme cleaner, but my poor little dude is stressed and I took him to the vet for more options. His stress from these outside cats is also causing him to be meaner to my other two cats to assert his dominance. Feliway hasn't made a difference. I've used the diffusers and spray, we have 4 litterboxes, blocked off surfaces like the stove now, windows as much as possible... all the stuff we're supposed to be doing.

My husband and I REALLY don't want to medicate him, but we also hate seeing how he's on edge. I asked the vet if I could have some prozac on hand. The idea being we'd only try it if he sprays again. My normal vet was away so this was a new person. They tried to give me Clomicalm, but he'd been on that a few years ago and it had a negative effect. Instead, they gave me this supplement to put in his food called "Aventi Mellows." (here's a link to the product) You're supposed to put 1ml in his food twice a day. They refused to give me Prozac, even though I told the vet the long list of things we've tried already and why I was thinking Prozac may help.

I can barely find any information about this, so I was wondering if anyone here has used it! One website says it's only meant for short term use, but barely any reviews. I don't want to give him anything that could be bad for his kidneys long term, or make him feel worse. Thanks for any input!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
First question, is he fixed?

Have you tried any non-toxic products to put in your yard that can keep cats away? There's a decent list of all natural, non-toxic sprays that you can put in/around your yard (something as simple as the smell of peppermint, for example) that will make your yard and unattractive place to hang out or pass through.
Cat Repellent Ideas
This way, you don't have to medicate your boy, and you don't harm any of the outdoor cats either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First question, is he fixed?

Have you tried any non-toxic products to put in your yard that can keep cats away? There's a decent list of all natural, non-toxic sprays that you can put in/around your yard (something as simple as the smell of peppermint, for example) that will make your yard and unattractive place to hang out or pass through.
Cat Repellent Ideas
This way, you don't have to medicate your boy, and you don't harm any of the outdoor cats either.
Yes, he's totally fixed. He's a shelter rescue, but they told us he was fixed as soon as he was able to.. I've put plants in the yard, but we have a ton of deer in our area that eat them. I live in Canada, so our winter is too cold for plants to bloom all year round.

Do you have a spray you'd recommend? When it was warmer out, I sprayed our tree, the deck, the garage, and by the windows. And how often do you refresh the spray in dry weather? I had tried a citrus and a vinegar one. A few days after doing so, the orange Tom had sprayed the tree again and the stucco by our kitchen window. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Check the link I posted. It gives a few different ideas on sprays that you can make at home. As for duration, you may have to monitor how long it keeps the other cats away, and use that as a benchmark on when to reapply.