Automatic Or Timed Feeders?

rocketscientist

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning,

Princess, my 4 year old rescued female tabby, went to the vet last week and got a clean bill of health - except she is getting fat. I believe part of the problem is she likes her dry food a little too much. She is on urinary SO, both wet and dry food, for a past problem with urinary crystals (no crystals in her latest urinalysis, but the vet thinks she should stay on the Rx food b/c that likely is preventing the crystals from coming back). So, I can't really change her food.

I don't want to leave her totally without dry food because I live alone, and if something were to happen to me, she could starve before anyone figures out there's a problem. So, I'm debating trying one of those timed feeders, that supposedly dispenses a certain amount of food at a certain time every day? I have never seen them in action, just heard about them.

Have you tried one? Do you like it? Certain brands better than others? And where did you get the one you like?

Thanks for any help.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use the Petsafe two meal autofeeder when I travel. My pet sitter comes in the morning and feeds them, fills and sets the feeder for midday, and returns in the evening to clean the feeder and feed them again. They work well. I don’t know how they would hold up if they were used every day.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are alternatives to the SO food: Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

I like the Petsafe 5 compartment feeder. It's digitally programmable to any time you want for up to 5 meals. It's quiet except for a brief whirr as the tray rotates. You have to fill the compartments before closing the lid.

I use the Petsafe two meal autofeeder when I travel.

I don’t know how they would hold up if they were used every day.
It doesn't. I had the manual 2 compartment feeder before. The manual dial can only be set in approximate 2 hour increments and makes a constant annoying loud ticking noise, the only way to stop the ticking noise when the feeder is not in use is to pry out the hard to remove battery with a screwdriver (and lots of :censored: :angrywoman:), the lids just hover over the bowls and a cat can easily hook a claw under the lid and pry it off to get to the food, the feeder itself isn't heavy and can be pushed and flipped around (my cat at the time did that. I found the feeder in the hallway when it was originally in the kitchen).

Petsafe has a new digital 2 compartment feeder which may work better for daily use. Again, you have to fill the compartment with food first before closing the lid.

I have not used a feeder that autmatically dispenses dry food at a certain time. Petsafe has three options for dry food only: Automatic Pet Feeder | Timed Cat Feeder & Dog Feeder | PetSafe