Automatic feeder: cat still begs for food

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know what to do about my cats begging anymore. Thankfully she has stopped doing it when i am sleeping. But in the afternoon she begs for two hours until her wet food feeder opens.

I dont go near her feeder until its time to fill it. At 8 am i add the food for the night, and at 8 pm i add the food for the morning. She knows the food is in there and just has to wait. Why is she still begging me for food? I had hoped she would see the machine as her food source since i only go near it to refill it for the next meal. I used to have issues where she wouldnt let me sleep. Now shes switched her begging to the afternoon.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be for attention, but are you only feeding twice a day? I would add a third meal, twice a day is too lite for some cats. My cats get fed 4 times a day (7am, 12, 5:30pm and midnight I am a night owl who goes to bed at 2:30 am lol), and my one boy Fynn always starts meowing for food an hour before his supper lol. Its probably cause lunch is a tiny meal so he tends to be hungrier then. He will meow before breakfast and before supper which makes sense as he'd be the hungriest for those meals. For lunch he doesnt meow, at all unless in the kitchen getting his food, and the last meal he doesnt either. He will wait lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be for attention, but are you only feeding twice a day? I would add a third meal, twice a day is too lite for some cats. My cats get fed 4 times a day (7am, 12, 5:30pm and midnight I am a night owl who goes to bed at 2:30 am lol), and my one boy Fynn always starts meowing for food an hour before his supper lol. Its probably cause lunch is a tiny meal so he tends to be hungrier then. He will meow before breakfast and before supper which makes sense as he'd be the hungriest for those meals. For lunch he doesnt meow, at all unless in the kitchen getting his food, and the last meal he doesnt either. He will wait lol.
She gets fed at 3: 50 am, 4:50 am, 3:50 pm, and 4:50 pm. I just took her regular food size and split it into four. I have considered changing her meal times. But i worry she will lose her mind. I worry about changing her morning meals, she doesnt wake me up anymore.

lol i am seeing its just a cat thing to meow before a meal is coming. :flail: I thought it was just my persistent cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need to try changing the meal times. She is still going almost 12 hours between the 2nd AM meal and the 1st PM meal. And, that sounds like when she is waiting/begging for food. If she sleeps most of the night, that might explain why she doesn't have as big of an issue going from 4:50PM to 3:50AM.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you need to try changing the meal times. She is still going almost 12 hours between the 2nd AM meal and the 1st PM meal. And, that sounds like when she is waiting/begging for food. If she sleeps most of the night, that might explain why she doesn't have as big of an issue going from 4:50PM to 3:50AM.
@Talien, that's excellent advice! And terestrife terestrife *I love Cuban cuisine!* As I understand it, Cuban cuisine, like most Caribbean cuisines, is based on what's grown locally, which includes a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. Of course there's meat, too, and grains. And if you do have Jewish ancestry, that's great, too, for diet, as the Mediterranean diet is generally thought to be one of the best for health and also relies heavily on fresh produce. It's portions and how you cook things that makes the difference.
If you get a chance to try Klogs, check them out. They're kind of expensive but they're really well made, last a long time, and for me, at least, they are the best for my feet. They're not flat, but they have enough of an arch and about 2-3" heel overall, that my feet seem to really like them. AND they come in wide widths, which I need and it sounds like you might be comfortable with, too. One pair of these is worth a whole bunch of other shoes, for me at least. I have quite a few other shoes that I've bought, thinking they'd work for me. They're in their boxes in my closet. The Klogs get worn every day, and I bought a total of 4 pair, different colors and styles -- I wear the oldest pair a LOT and keep the others for "good" :) They all have non-skid rubber soles.
Before I gave her two morning meals she would be up from 2 am to 3 am begging for food. She doesn't beg anymore. So I'm scared to touch her morning meals. Lol she was not letting me sleep. It was a nightmare.