Aura Luna is her name!

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
92633C70-AC57-4753-82A8-1850BBB64BF1.jpeg
7C4463FE-2B33-43C2-B3B4-71EB14D0BD55.jpeg

This beautiful cat name is Aura Luna, she’s actually my mama cat but she seem to grow and trust on me really fast. I’ve known her throughout the years obviously but I never paid much attention to her while she was at my moms. She’s definitely grown on me as well, but I do feel bad because at my mom’s prior to her moving back to my grandma’s she was mostly an outside cat, now she’s confined to a 1,000 sq. ft apartment looking and dreaming past the glass window. :( At first she was definitely nervous, she wasn’t really eating or using the RR but luckily my mom had a mattress of hers that already I guess carries her scent? So she was originally just always in her mattress for the first couple days. Sorry I’m a huge cat noob, I’ve never had one and I’ve been just trying to understand cat behaviors and when they are usually “telling” you to take ‘em to get checked. But 2 weeks later I’m having to clean the litter 2x a day instead of one and she’s eating 2x a day like my mom would feed her back home. I do have a littttle issue. I love the cat she’s really nice and cuddly, but it’s starting to get reaaaal excessive. (I’m an A-hole, I know) Like I don’t mind but it’s getting to the point where she is constantly laying on top of me and doing periodically through the night. I don’t mind the occasional cute lay-down and purr. But it’s really getting into my sleep schedule, I really don’t know how to get her off, I’ve tried speaking more stern and she’ll stay off for a little but, low and behold those itchy whiskers will wake me up to her rubbing her face on mine. Plus I feel really bad because when I kind of raise my voice she gives me this “sad” look and I just give in and allow her to rest on me. Any suggestions? Sorry not sure if this is even supposed to be on the ‘New Members’ section, I kind of went on a little rant there. But that’s my cat! And my moms crazy if she thinks she’s getting her back now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
0825B9B4-A9FD-4F6A-BE66-31B329DFA74B.jpeg

This is how she lays on me everyyyyy day now.
60CE1B9C-5A20-4474-ABD8-FBF6935E79B1.jpg

Here is a better angle, so you can see where my frustration begins!!! Although it is really cute lol and I don’t want her to like completely stop, just like not so much. Haha maybe I’m just being complicated.
5C029E7C-9B1E-4EE9-97B9-A3C18F9E5A36.jpeg
8AB93243-8675-48E1-B1E3-CBF5A6920AB9.jpeg

The infamous climbing on top while I’m just chilling doing some work on the computer. Lol
3C3B21D1-8ADA-4E86-8B4C-CE126760F39F.jpeg

And this was her the first week trying to hide from everyone. She would hide under one of my roommates bed, he lives in the living room.
EC8BA090-6B67-4339-A390-576113C93E89.jpeg

And this is now her go-to spot if it’s not on top me.
She really is a beautiful and great company I wanted a pet but thought I wouldn’t have enough time for them but she’s all over me when I’m home. Good thing is she is usually never hear by herself, one of us is usually here and she’s gotten to like my roommate in the living room. She doesn’t like my other roommate who has his own room but I think it’s because he has a cat, who he IMHO keeps a prisoner in that room, but anytime they’ve “met” she always hisses and slashes at the cat, he’s a male they’re about the same age, but he tries to play with her and she does not want anything to do with him lol, but I’m assuming that’s why she doesn’t really “like” my other roommate because of his cat. Also any advice for noobies would be much appreciated! I have been reading a lot, but if anyone wants to save me a couple searches, your much appreciated. ;)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she waking you up for food? Boredom?

Feeding her some food right before bed or leaving dry food out, helps. Boredom? Buy & make interactive toys. Give her a new one each night. Get around 20-30!(over time) then give her a new toy each night. Put the toys in a place she can’t get to. When a cat can’t use a toy for a couple of weeks, it magically becomes new!

Since she was an outside cat, can you give her a catio? Maybe a window one? Or daily harness hang out time?

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she waking you up for food? Boredom?

Feeding her some food right before bed or leaving dry food out, helps. Boredom? Buy & make interactive toys. Give her a new one each night. Get around 20-30!(over time) then give her a new toy each night. Put the toys in a place she can’t get to. When a cat can’t use a toy for a couple of weeks, it magically becomes new!

Since she was an outside cat, can you give her a catio? Maybe a window one? Or daily harness hang out time?
I really don’t think it’s food, because when I wake up to clean the bowls in the morning she doesn’t ever really get to it until about an hour after I put it down. Maybe boredom? It is a huge change in scenery. I do need to buy some toys and a scratcher/post, definitely on Monday, unfortunately I got in accident last weekend I’ve been stuck without a car. Hopefully I’ll have it on Monday. I’m interested in the catio? Never heard of that, I’m definitely going to look up some YouTube videos, the thing is I am upstairs, so I’m not exactly too sure how that would work. And a harness? Is that like a leash, but for cats? I’m just nervous that she runs off on me because my mom would literally never talk to me again. Lol she had her since she was about 2 months old I believe and she’s 5 or 6 years old. She would kill me if I lost the cat, especially out where I live, there’s way too many stray animals just walking around as it as, as long as she’s been pampered and domesticated, I don’t think she would have that natural reaction like the street animals do. Scary thought! Lol I will see though it sounds interesting, even though the people on the street corners might laugh at me for walking a cat! Lol

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Aura Luna is a cutie pie. :catlove:

I kind of went on a little rant there. But that’s my cat! And my moms crazy if she thinks she’s getting her back now!
I wouldn't say a "rant", but you did post quite a bit. ;)

So Aura Luna was your Mom's cat, but you've got her now. How long has she been with you? With a new human (new) and a new living space, plus a room-mate she isn't fond of, plus a new cat living with her, that's a lot of change for one little cat. So no wonder she's being clingy with you.

TCS has a bunch of articles on different topics that might be helpful. Here's a couple to get you started:

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

And if you plan to let her meet the room-mates cat, a "formal" introduction is probably the best way to go about it.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Aura Luna is a cutie pie. :catlove:

I wouldn't say a "rant", but you did post quite a bit. ;)

So Aura Luna was your Mom's cat, but you've got her now. How long has she been with you? With a new human (new) and a new living space, plus a room-mate she isn't fond of, plus a new cat living with her, that's a lot of change for one little cat. So no wonder she's being clingy with you.

TCS has a bunch of articles on different topics that might be helpful. Here's a couple to get you started:

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan) – TheCatSite Articles

And if you plan to let her meet the room-mates cat, a "formal" introduction is probably the best way to go about it.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you for the warm welcome 😋 LOL! Thank you and I know I’m sorry 😅 I’ve had Aura since the 8th of this month (January 2021), so just a little over 2 weeks now. And thank you for the links that’s exactly what I was looking for!

Honestly at this point I don’t want her to feel anymore uncomfortable because all we did was let his cat out of the room and allow them to catch each other’s scent. But she literally just continued attacking him, so he put him back up....lol I felt bad but I mean sadly he leaves his cat in his room by himself a lot, and sometimes for days at a time (I’ll hear him crying at night when he’s gone😔)

And I felt REALLY bad yesterday I was clipping the tips of her nails and she was doing SO good, just relaxing, but of course on the last one she decided to moved her paw forward and I almost clipped to the pink part of her nail. Thankfully she wasn’t bleeding or anything, but she still whimpered and hid from me for like 2 hours 😔 but she forgave me :)

Once again, thank you for the info. See you around the forums ;)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
PreciousPetsCatsHello.gif
to you and Aura Luna, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
68ae3a05b59600a393f84b44e8c9c352.gif
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Aura Luna is a lovely kitty :hearthrob: :redheartpump: and thank you for taking her in and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in show-me-your-stripes-and-spots-tabby-cats-only.347378 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All about the harness, I would open a new thread for that. First you get them used to/comfortable/eating/playing with wearing a harness inside. Next they get used to dragging a short leash around the house. Next you open the door and allow them to go out at their pace. Jackie has been wearing a harness since he was 2.5 months old. By 4 months he was harness trained pretty well. I will add that he does escape but if I stay calm & walk slowly, he lets me catch him a minute or two later. He is an escape artist of all types of harnesses. I have found it is eassier to let him run off, dragging the leash then to let him escape. Once he gets the leash taunt/ caught, he wiggles backward out of it. I can stop it by pulling the leash upwards. Has you can see he is still very active even in a leash. (Jackie NEEDS 2. Hours outside every day! So I put him on a long leash and sit reading while he does his thing. Plus he gets at least 2 short walks every day.)

All that said, if you can legally do it, I would buy (or build her) a catio for a window. Let her go in/out the catio as she pleases through a kitty door.

⭐Can you set hours that your cat is locked in your room & the other cat runs free (& vice versa) every day? That will help them get used to each other & get the other cat out of kitty prison.

Can you hang some bird feeders (& maybe a bath someday) so Aurora can happily look at the birds through your window screen all day? Jackie’s deluxe bird feeder pole holds 3 bird feeders and a small basket.
585686E9-BDB1-4DB9-891A-0606DBCB2DA1.jpeg

Cat to and cat games are good for rainy days. I love the hexabug mouse on rainy days.

Attachments

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View attachment 367607 to you and Aura Luna, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm View attachment 367608 to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Aura Luna is a lovely kitty :hearthrob: :redheartpump: and thank you for taking her in and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out her life :clapcat:

Do post more photos of her and we have a special thread here just for her in show-me-your-stripes-and-spots-tabby-cats-only.347378 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitty is up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:
Thank you, you guys have been crazy helpful! 🥰

AuraLunaTheCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All about the harness, I would open a new thread for that. First you get them used to/comfortable/eating/playing with wearing a harness inside. Next they get used to dragging a short leash around the house. Next you open the door and allow them to go out at their pace. Jackie has been wearing a harness since he was 2.5 months old. By 4 months he was harness trained pretty well. I will add that he does escape but if I stay calm & walk slowly, he lets me catch him a minute or two later. He is an escape artist of all types of harnesses. I have found it is eassier to let him run off, dragging the leash then to let him escape. Once he gets the leash taunt/ caught, he wiggles backward out of it. I can stop it by pulling the leash upwards. Has you can see he is still very active even in a leash. (Jackie NEEDS 2. Hours outside every day! So I put him on a long leash and sit reading while he does his thing. Plus he gets at least 2 short walks every day.)

All that said, if you can legally do it, I would buy (or build her) a catio for a window. Let her go in/out the catio as she pleases through a kitty door.

⭐Can you set hours that your cat is locked in your room & the other cat runs free (& vice versa) every day? That will help them get used to each other & get the other cat out of kitty prison.

Can you hang some bird feeders (& maybe a bath someday) so Aurora can happily look at the birds through your window screen all day? Jackie’s deluxe bird feeder pole holds 3 bird feeders and a small basket.
View attachment 367620

Cat to and cat games are good for rainy days. I love the hexabug mouse on rainy days.
Damn those cats are beautiful. No I won’t be able to, but I was reading on the harness and leash, I can’t wait to grab it on Monday, she’s one to be by the door, If you leave it open she kind of gets stage fright but I know if she steps one foot out that door, she’s gone!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and that GORGEOUS Aura Luna! Feel free to go to the Cat Behavior forum, and start a thread about behaviors that you need assistance with. You will get more focused replies there.