Aunty Cat Attempting To Play With 3 Week Old Kittens

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I have two British Shorthair cats (both of which are female). One of my queens gave birth to her first litter a few weeks ago and I noticed that her sister will try to take care of them. But a couple of days ago, I saw her batting at one of the kittens like she wanted to play with it. She obviously didn't hurt it because the kitten didn't cry or make any sound like he was in pain, but I'm a bit worried that she will hurt them. This has happened a couple of times now. Other than that, she has been really sweet to them. The little ones' mama completely trusts her with the litter and will let her curl up with them when she is eating or using the litter box. Should I separate them, or will my kitty realize that they are kittens after a while?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I would separate them until the kittens are older. As fast as they grow it won't be long, and maybe give your sister kitty some extra playtime :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
As long as she's not hurting the kittens, it's ok to leave them together. You'll probably notice mom also bats at the kittens occasionally. It's one way mama cats discipline kittens, even if we don't know why they're doing it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that she's trying to play with them. She acts the same with her sister. Yesterday she tried to pounce on one of them and I moved her right before she came down on her. I'm going to separate the litter from Bella when I'm not able to watch her properly because I really don't trust her :(