Augustus Just Died From Thread

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't believe it. Augustus just died during his second surgery from eating thread. It was so sudden, and I'm not even there. I left on a business trip a few days ago and he was so strong and full of life. I've only had him for 4 months. He had so so much energy, such a huge personality and just wiggled his way into being best friends with my cats and such a presence around the house and in my family. I just can't believe this happened. I've just lost too many cats. My heart is broken
IMG_20170213_134046_307.jpg
IMG_20170308_152950_478.jpg
0517171435b_resized.jpg
I just can't believe it. 5 years old. Survived out in the wild and 4 months with me and he dies because I didn't keep my sewing room clean enough.
I loved him so much, I thought I'd have him for years and years. Rest in peace Mr Augustus. I'll miss your crazy play times, giant paws, amd fluffy tail. The house is going to seem so empty without him. Taken too soon. I just cant believe this happened.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He completely attached himself to me, i can't help but wonder if he would have been stronger if I had been there. I'm just so in shock. This work trip is going to be a disaster if I can't stop crying

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Augustus was surely a handsome fellow. Take comfort in knowing that his last 4 months of life were his very best 4 months of life. It's very difficult when something like this accident happens so suddenly and there is no time to prepare. Just know that Augustus loved you so much for loving him and offering him the best life possible, with plenty of fresh food, water, and love.

RIP, dear little Augustus. Hugs to you, mysticotala. :grouphug2:

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up over this. You loved him and gave him a wonderful home for the time you had him. He knew how much you loved him.

My, he was beautiful. I am sorry for your loss and pray that your sweet memories will bring you peace.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are having to go through this. What a beautiful cat Augustus is. I know that you blame yourself but please be kind to yourself; accidents happen to the best of us. :alright:

It's obvious how much you loved him and it is traumatic to lose a kitty and even harder having to be away when it happens.

We are here to listen and give support. Please feel free to reach out when you are feeling low; we get it :grouphug2:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please know he would never want you to be so sad because of him, he loves you too much. There is no way to predict everything that could cause a tragic accident, and that is what it was, a tragic accident. Don't feel guilt over something you really had no control over, you had no way of knowing something like this would happen. All these could haves, should haves always come up, it is called grief. Please go on as you know he would want you to, just as you you want for him if you were the first to go. He is tied to your soul for eternity. The bond of love you share is spiritual and can never be taken from you. Use it and your precious memories to bring you comfort in these first dark days.
You are already bringing honor to his name by warning others about this horrible situation, it may have just saved many little lives by making others aware that something like this can happen.
My heart goes out to you, I, too, lost a little one to a horrible accident, so I am very much aware of the emptiness and grief that takes over your life. Know that time will bring a softening of the sharp edges, and that sharing your burden with others helps you to learn how to cope from their experiences. I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, may you be blessed for giving that sweet boy a wonderful home, and most importantly, your love. Take care........RIP beautiful Augustus, the earth is a little darker with your passing, but the heavens blaze with the pure light that shines from the new star that is you. Let that light shine down on the one who so desperately misses you to give comfort and healing, know you will be held in a loving heart forever more. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to read this story, as you can tell by the picture to the left I have a very soft spot for tuxedos, and he was so gorgeous.....my heart breaks for you, but sadly it was an accident and for some reasons these bad things happen. We have a few cats that love to eat string and rubber bands and all so we have to make sure we throw them out, but it could happen very easily, please understand this and to beat yourself up and feel guilty is normal, I know that I would too, but you had no real way of forseeing this horrible accident. Please know that it WAS an accident, you didn't harm him on purpose, just a very sad, tragic accident, and I surely would be heartbroken too if he was mine, but you must forgive yourself and with time you will.

So very sorry, such a handsome boy, I pray your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss! What a shock, especially when you are in the middle of work :hugs::hugs::hugs: A million hugs! He was a very gorgeous kitty.

He might have survived out in the wild but it likely wasn't a good life. He had a good life with you. That is the thing with accidents, many are very unpredictable. Everyone focuses on the obvious things in the household to protect kitties - water, electricity, bad food, household cleaners, plants, sharp things etc one would hardly anticipated something seemingly innocent like a piece of thread.

If anything, the loss of him wouldn't be in vain, as now it can be such an important lesson for others to be mindful of sewing supplies, even under the most tidiest of places. People will value and honour you and his memory for it. It still sucks, and still painful of course, but somewhere there is a possibility to grasp one *tiny* positive thing out of the personal pain.

Don't torture yourself :grouphug: you did not intentionally hurt him. You even tried to fix things and make him better again. You are a devoted and good cat owner. Don't feel guilty about not being there either, you can't help how work scheduled you and how things could turn up.

R.I.P Augustus :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone :( I'm so glad this site is here. It all feels like a bad dream. It was such a stupid, random and horrible way to lose him, I still haven't wrapped my head around him not being around anymore. He was such a sweetheart and had such a strong personality. I wanted so much more time with him. And we got him as a companion for my other cat and they became such cuddle buddies. I can't believe I'll never get to play with him or pet him or see his little face again. I wish so hard I could go back and change things. I feel so horrible. He made such an impact on my life and it hurts so much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Augustus, dream you deep. You are so loved and remembered.

In the wild, his life expectancy would only have been about 4-7 years. And that is a life of hunger, cold, deprivation and untreated injuries and illnesses. Better 4 months of love and care with you. He was loved and cared for, and had a bit of cat heaven on earth. You did well.

And thank you for posting his story on your sewing groups. Somewhere a cat's life will be saved because you did.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up. He was so happy and loving with you and your other cat because you saved him from a hard life filled with hardship and danger in the wild. He suddenly had you giving him a warm beautiful loving home, soft furniture to sleep luxuriously on, someone to brush and cuddle him and help keep his beautiful coat soft and detangled. He had you to feed him healthy tasty food, all he wanted without having to scrounge, steal or fight for it or eat from garbage or rotten food. He had all the fresh clean cold water he wanted and a beautiful friendly buddy to play with who loved him and didn't view him as competition for limited food and water. No hardship, no stress, no worry about survival like every other day of his five years, just love, luxuries and pampering. Most feral cats and many abandoned cats never get that life, they freeze to death or get abused or poisoned by cruel people or tortured and slowly killed by predators or dogs or die from fights, or sick or hit by cars. He was so beautiful, my tuxedo Mandy died 2 years ago at 16 and I regret that I didn't know she was sick and take her in sooner. No matter how they die, we regret not preventing it somehow even when there's nothing we can do.
I can wrap all my pets in bubble wrap but can't prevent them from dying of disease like my beloved formerly feral Inky died yesterday. My apartment is not spotless, my young dog likes to chew up cat and dog toys all the time and there's toy stuffing in various parts of the apartment. Is there thread in there that one of my cats could eat? Possibly and there's been some constantly being left there for over a year now with this dog. I don't make time to scrub my entire place all the time. Whenever I clean one of the cats or dog does something and makes a new mess, breaks things, knocks over things, you name it. You do the best you can. Your beautiful boy had a great life with you while you had him. You loved him and let him know and did the best you could. He could have died of cancer or another disease and suffered for a long time. My poor Inky had diabetes, asthma, stomatitis, chronic infections from diabetes, otitis. And the cancer which caused an abscess, both ears to have total ear canal ablations to remove cancer which caused deafness, cataracts which affected sight, cancer returned then spread and all kinds of other stuff, nausea, pain, eventually anemia and transfusions and plasma. I hated him going through all that but he was a trooper and a good patient. Some cats would never tolerate all those meds and procedures. Your boy had heaven on earth and now is at the rainbow bridge waiting patiently to be with you again someday in the distant future. It was an accident and cats do eat things they shouldn't. He knew you loved him and took the best care of him like no one else ever had and he loved you too. He looks so happy in the pictures which is because you are and were such a devoted loving mom. None of my pets introductions ever looked that relaxed and happy together that close that soon.
Rip Augustus and prayers for you to find peace and forgiveness for yourself. Terrible accidents happen every day. Try to focus on the good memories and the love and gifts he brought to your life.

Last edited: