August 2022 Book of the Month Club - Dracula

Which of these 2 classic books should we read in August?

• Dracula by Bram Stoker

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was just googling Dracula, and see that 2022 is the 125th anniversary of the book's release. So how appropriate that we're reading it this year. But we're a few months late, as the publication date was May 26, 1897

I can download my copy tomorrow and will read during daylight hours.
Good thing it's summer time, so daylight lasts a long time. :sunshine:

I’ll be starting it tonight and I like scary stories!
I don't find it too scary. At least not yet.

I've almost finished. Without giving too much away, I found the beginning rather creepy and then when talk of a cat or kitten came up I was ready to give up. But things improved in as far as it became more unreal and more like the Dracula, with bats and vampires I'd grown up with - at least in films and comics. So don't give up too soon - it's definitely worth reading. 🧛‍♂️🧛‍♀️🦇🦇🦇🦇
Good to know it gets better, but I'm actually enjoying it a lot already. In fact, I read a bit more before I turned out the lights last night. And thankfully, no nightmares. :lol:

I've read as much of this book as I am going to. I find it extremely boring.
Sorry to hear that. And a little surprised, as though I'm only on chapter 4, I find it's really keeping my interest.

Depending on how far you got, you might want to read a bit more, as gilmargl gilmargl posted that it gets better further into the book.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that. And a little surprised, as though I'm only on chapter 4,

I was fine through chapter 4. It was chapter 5 where things went south for me. I scanned through the next 6 chapters, reading a little here and there. Then realized there are 15 more chapters of this!?!?! No way! I hope you get more out of it than I did. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was fine through chapter 4. It was chapter 5 where things went south for me. I scanned through the next 6 chapters, reading a little here and there. Then realized there are 15 more chapters of this!?!?! No way! I hope you get more out of it than I did. :thumbsup:
Ok, that makes sense, as up to chapter 4, it was a total attention grabber. Then starting at chapter 5, there was a change, but there must be a reason for those chapters, so I'll just carry on, as I want to know
if we ever hear from Jonathan again, or at least find out what happened to him.
Plus I need to read the whole book, if I'm going to eventually write a review. ;)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to know what is in your spoiler, but not enough to continue with this book. I looked through the rest of the book, and it appeared that the change in chapter 5 was how most of the rest of the book was written. And I hope it's OK, but I intend to write a review. I will comment on things in the book and not just be negative.:p

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to know what is in your spoiler, but not enough to continue with this book. I looked through the rest of the book, and it appeared that the change in chapter 5 was how most of the rest of the book was written. And I hope it's OK, but I intend to write a review. I will comment on things in the book and not just be negative.:p
Absolutely it's ok to write a review based on what you read. And do be honest in your review, even if it ends up being a bit negative. ;)

If you haven't returned the book yet, maybe put it aside and pick it up again in a few days. Still loads of time till the discussion, and maybe after a break you'll find it more interesting. I'm about to start chapter 8. Chapters 5 & 6 were a bit boring, but chapter 7 was really good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in the middle of Chapter 25, 25th October. I'm trying to read the last 40 pages s l o w l y! :)
Are you reading s l o w l y, because you don't want it to end. Or because it's hard to read quickly when you're hiding under the blankets.

1660233370855.png

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤣 No, I'm not hiding under the blankets! It's not that scary! Although I am quite keen to find out what happens, I can wait till nearer our date for discussion to finish it.
Making the most of it, as I can't see myself joining you next month - there are plenty of very cheap secondhand copies of Twenties Girl, but the postage trebles the price and it's not a book I particularly want to actually own. Nevermind - perhaps I'll have better luck with the book chosen for October!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not very scary, is it. I'm even able to read it right before bed. 🧛‍♂️

I read quite a bit yesterday, and am about to start chapter 18 now. I'm really enjoying it, as I knew next to nothing about the Dracula book.

For example, before I read the book, the below would have meant nothing to me. :lol:
1660302125089.png

Making the most of it, as I can't see myself joining you next month - there are plenty of very cheap secondhand copies of Twenties Girl, but the postage trebles the price and it's not a book I particularly want to actually own. Nevermind - perhaps I'll have better luck with the book chosen for October!
It's too bad you can't borrow English books from a library. It would be much more convenient. And cheaper. :ohwell:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished reading Dracula last night. It was nothing like I expected, though not sure what I expected. I'll be writing my review today, while it's still fresh in my mind, to save for discussion time, which starts in 7 days.

How's everyone else doing?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, 3 of us have finished reading it.

How about you, pearl99 pearl99 . Have you started it yet?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Just ran across this thread again. I am up cause a bat is in the other bedroom. Gypsy woke her dad up about 4:30am, he freaked, she said she'd be glad to take care of it for us.. . Landlord not answering phone, animal control doesn't open til 10:30 am. I don't want to deal with it other than opening the window, turning off lite & ceiling fan so lying here awake next to G's dad who is snoring too loudly for me to sleep. We finally finished moving into this old house about a week ago. I've read and reread Dracula probably at least 8 or 9 times over the years although not for awhile. I'm on the last few chapters of "By the Sword" by Mercedes Lacky so may pop by the library to check out the Dracula book, I mean he did send a representative to visit. Unless it's really Him! :paranoid: :think::smash::thud:😱 🙀:gingercat:🦇
Gypsy on guard
20220816_054306.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am up cause a bat is in the other bedroom.
That sounds scary !!!! :running:

I'm on the last few chapters of "By the Sword" by Mercedes Lacky so may pop by the library to check out the Dracula book, I mean he did send a representative to visit. Unless it's really Him!
LOL. Does seem like a sign that you're supposed to join us and read the book. :lol:

Meanwhile, hope Dracula, or his representative, has found another place to hang out. 🦇

Just started today. I will have plenty of time to read in the upcoming week. I’m anxious to dive in!
Yes, just under a week till be start the discussion. Hope you enjoy it. 🧛‍♂️