August 2021 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The book we've chosen for August was co-authored by 2 women who describe it as "a dark, suspenseful journey into the cutthroat world of college admissions." If that sounds like something you've read in entertainment news, website Refinery 29 did as well, as they included the following in their review of the book "for those who couldn't stop reading about Lori Loughlin and Operation Varsity Blues"

The book for August 2021 is
Girls With Bright Futures by
Tracy Dobmeier and Wendy Katzman

1625228388614.png

We will be reading it between August 1st and August 21st
Discussion will begin August 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us, and then join the discussion.
You can RSVP that you're going to read it, by posting in this thread.

Reviews can be read at Goodreads: Girls With Bright Futures

As this is a 2021 released book, it might be harder to borrow at libraries than older releases, however, both the hard copy and e-book are available at my library, so hopefully they will be easy to borrow from other libraries as well.

If you borrow e-books, and your library is affiliated with Hoopla, the book is currently available to borrow through them.
Here's the link:
Girls With Bright Futures at Hoopla

It's also available at Amazon for both the paperback and Kindle version.
Here's the link:
Girls With Bright Futures at Amazon

I think that covers everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just a little background on our book club, for anyone new to TCS.

Back in the fall of 2019 some of us who post in the general books and reading thread thought it might be fun if we read the same book at the same time. So we started a "Book of the Month Club", with the inaugural book read in October 2019.

The objective of our book club is to read and discuss one book a month. We designate the first 21 days of the month to read the book, and then discuss it between the 22nd and 28th of the month. The intent is to pick books from different genres, though it's turned out that thrillers get chosen most often.

Books are announced during the first week of the previous month, so our September book will be announced in early August. That usually gives plenty of time for interested parties to obtain a copy.

We've just started a new month, with Paths of Glory our July book. So it's not too late to join us now, if you don't want to wait for August's book. Here's the link to the thread: July 2021 book of the month club

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I might have to give this one a miss.. I do audiobooks and the narrator is pretty ordinary :(
Looks like an interesting one though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I might have to give this one a miss.. I do audiobooks and the narrator is pretty ordinary :(
Never really thought about the narrator being able to make a book something you want to listen to, or not. But makes sense. Hopefully the next book we choose will have a better one.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a hard copy coming from another library and just downloaded the EBook!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Both copies of the e-book are currently available at my library, so I'll borrow it once August arrives.

Anyone else planning to / considering reading it?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the narrator is very important. When I started seeing double, it was difficult to read so I tried reading and listening to an audiobook at the same time. I was very disappointed with some of the readers and decided that a pleasant, natural voice is far easier to listen to than some famous actor or actress trying to put on a show. But then, I was simultaneously following the story in print and perhaps wanted to form my own opinion of how the characters would speak. :dunno:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just bought the e-book - it got onto my reader so quickly that I had to start reading. But, I've got some other books to finish first so I've put it away. It should be a very quick read ..... and not as sad as our July book was.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent. Happy to have you join us. :grouphug2:

I've just bought the e-book - it got onto my reader so quickly that I had to start reading. But, I've got some other books to finish first so I've put it away. It should be a very quick read ..... and not as sad as our July book was.
Yes, think it will be a light, and hopefully a sadness-free read. :crossfingers:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See you in September, pearl99 pearl99 . And good luck putting a dent in that stack of books, cuz you wouldn't want something like this to happen:

1627552385323.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not sure how July slipped by so quickly, but it's August now, so time to start "Girl's With Bright Futures".
Discussion won't begin until August 22nd, so we have 3 weeks to read it. Hopefully it's a fun summer book. :read:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just started reading this book, but so near the beginning, I don't really have an opinion yet.

Anyone else start reading it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise