August 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry I didn’t get to the discussion earlier. Sometimes work gets in the way of real life. Then I had a cat show to go to over the weekend.
No worries. That's the kind of busy I figured was keeping people from reading this month.

Anyway, I’ve only read about half of the book. Very light reading so far, not much substance but easy to zip through it. I’m still waiting to find out what part the girls play in the whole process.
Do share your thoughts when you finish, as all of us who have posted already should be subscribed to the thread, so will see any new posts.

Having been a member of a writers’ critique group for about 15 years I have a tendency to critique almost every book I read. I keep wanting to write my comments to the authors.:hellocomputer::p
LOL. And way too easy to do these days with authors having social media platforms.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I finally finished the book. It's not the worst book I've ever read but it's certainly not one I would ever recommend to anyone.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so disappointing if the title was something about whacked-out moms instead of girls. There was really very little about the girls and what they wanted for their bright futures.

I do a lot of reading and the best books are ones that have at least one character that really draws you in. It's not necessarily always the "good guys". Sometimes the "bad guys" are most interesting. In this book I didn't find any characters that I cared about. I probably would have found the girls likeable if we'd seen more of their personalities.

All of the moms were totally self-centered, and I include Maren in that. In some ways she was the worst of the lot. She spent her entire adult life protecting herself from growing up and not as she told herself protecting her daughter.

Sorry if that sounds like a bit of a rant. I'm just kind of annoyed that I wasted so much time reading the book.

I've already gotten the September book from the library and started reading it. I expect it to be a much better reading experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I finally finished the book. It's not the worst book I've ever read but it's certainly not one I would ever recommend to anyone.
That's more-or-less my opinion, as well. And, you're right, it was way more about the moms, than the girls, so a bit disappointing, that way.

One book, with a similar title, but completely different from this one, in that it really is about the girls, is Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1). It's a young adult series, with 2 books so far. The first book was better than the second, but I'm looking forward to the next one.