August 2020 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're back to thrillers for August, with the 2017 debut release by British novelist Emily Elgar.

The book for August 2020 is
If You Knew Her by Emily Elgar

1594388639984.png

We will be reading it between August 1st and August 21st
Discussion will be from August 22nd to August 28th

Everyone is welcome to read along with us.

Goodreads: If You Knew Her
Amazon: If You Knew Her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A little bit more about our book club, in case anyone is curious.

It was started in Oct 2019, after a few of us in the general books and reading thread thought it might be fun to read the same book at the same time.

So far we have read mostly fiction, including the classic "Pride and Prejudice", as well as a non-fiction book "Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World", but we seem to keep drifting back to thrillers, like we are yet again with "If You Knew Her".

As mentioned above, everyone is welcome to read along with us, and then share your thoughts on the book. But don't worry, it's not like school where you have to write a book report, or do an oral presentation. We do have a few questions you can answer, but they're just a way to start the discussion, and you can answer as few, or as many, as you'd like..

So if you enjoy reading, or used to read and wonder why you don't anymore, why don't you join us in August. :read:

If you have a cat, though, do expect the below to possibly happen. :catlove:

1594812684195.png

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had this book on my shelf ready to read for a few weeks and really looking forward to it. The discussion later in the month is very casual but good to see the differences of opinions and perspectives. The more the better.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read this book and can't wait to read it again. I like to reread books so this will
be a treat. We'll be across the pond again during this book so pack up your beans and brown sauce!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anyone started reading this yet? I'm # 1 on 1 copy of the e-book at the library, so patiently waiting. Hopefully the person who currently has it on loan is a fast reader, and remembers to return it once they're done. :read:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought this book a few weeks ago but am holding off reading it until nearer the discussion. Hope you have your copy soon.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had it from library but am holding off reading it. I've read it and it's sooo good!

FYI: We're across the pond again, guys. Mush is putting in lots of bacon, brown sauce,
Branston pickles, ham, beans, brown bread and scones for us.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's great, pearl99 pearl99 . Anyone else planning to read it?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to have to skip this one, and I HATE THAT! There were some additional, unexpected expenses this month, and the budget says "NO!" But I really, really wanted to!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to have to skip this one, and I HATE THAT! There were some additional, unexpected expenses this month, and the budget says "NO!" But I really, really wanted to!
Sorry to hear that. But understand. See you in September though, right. 🤗

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still waiting for the ebook from the library. It's saying "about 2 weeks" which I'm sure it's been saying since the beginning of August. :hmmm: Hopefully I get it soon, and that it's a quick read, since the discussion starts in 7 days! :eek2:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I so wish I could visit Mush as a bakewell tart sounds delicious, but I'm still next in line for the e-book, and at this point can't see that I'll possibly get it read by discussion time. In fact, I'll be lucky to have it borrowed by discussion time. :sigh:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frustrating though. I even cancelled my hold, and then chose it again, thinking maybe something quirky was going on and that might reset it. But still saying "about 2 weeks". :argh: