Attitude changes in different rooms

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't a problem, I'm just curious if anyone else experiences this:

Oliver can be a bit standoffish when he's in the living room. For instance, he will shirk away when petted. On the other hand, when he is in the bathroom, he is very cuddly. Do you think this is unusual?

This does not apply to company. Oliver prides himself in being very much the social butterfly and will almost stand on his head to get company's attention, regardless of what room.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Search the What's New Pussycat section. There was a thread in there not too long ago about cats behaving differently in different rooms.

The same answer I gave there: not so much. Mine are pretty consistent.
The only difference is that Siri thinks the bed is a fun play place and likes to attack feet and chase her tail there.
It doesn't matter where we lay down, we could lay on the living room floor and Siri would climb on us, she just happens to do that in the bedroom because we lay on the bed.

Oliver probably behaves differently in the bedroom because he's either on a surface there or you're often laying down. Height makes a big difference to an insecure cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Search the What's New Pussycat section. There was a thread in there not too long ago about cats behaving differently in different rooms.

The same answer I gave there: not so much. Mine are pretty consistent.
The only difference is that Siri thinks the bed is a fun play place and likes to attack feet and chase her tail there.
It doesn't matter where we lay down, we could lay on the living room floor and Siri would climb on us, she just happens to do that in the bedroom because we lay on the bed.

Oliver probably behaves differently in the bedroom because he's either on a surface there or you're often laying down. Height makes a big difference to an insecure cat.
Thanks, I'll check that section. It's actually the bathroom where his demeanor changes. It's kind of funny. He loves to be petted there whether I'm in the middle of brushing my teeth or just stepping out of the shower. He's probably laughing inside.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably has something to do with your attention being diverted away from him, then. Cats can be rather persistent when you're busy, then when you have time to pet them they run off.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I have. My cat Blaze is scared of my father when he's in the living room, but will rub on him and ask for petting in the kitchen or bedrooms!

In the living room he won't go near him and if he suddenly realizes he's near my dad or if you try to bring him near, he will get huge eyes and run away. It's weird!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Probably has something to do with your attention being diverted away from him, then. Cats can be rather persistent when you're busy, then when you have time to pet them they run off.
LOL! Attention being diverted away from him? I end up brushing my teeth with one hand. I think I'm becoming more coordinated.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekochan

Yes I have. My cat Blaze is scared of my father when he's in the living room, but will rub on him and ask for petting in the kitchen or bedrooms!

In the living room he won't go near him and if he suddenly realizes he's near my dad or if you try to bring him near, he will get huge eyes and run away. It's weird!
I guess we aren't the only ones. Check out the "What's new pussycat" section like Strangewings said. http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ht=differently
I might post there too, just haven't had time yet.