Attacks and feces - I’m scared

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just two hours ago from this post, I was attacked repeatedly by my new cat. My house is covered in feces. My other cat was attacked as well. She had clear intent to harm m

I was tending to my Male cat, giving him some love. The female cat that attacked, was in another room. Separated by 6ft of baby gates. Out of the blue, she squeezes through a baby gate, rushes towards me, and attacks me while covering me in feces. She then procedes to run around the entire house dropping feces on the corners of walls and under chairs. Myself, scared rushes to get my male cat to safety in his room. She attacks me again, and then my resident cat, and them myself again. I am not hitting her or attempting to hurt her in any way. I’m just as scared for her as I am for us.

I grab a towel and try to restrain her into a carrier. She keeps attacking but I am able to get her inside. We’re both covered in her feces, and she’s hissing a storm. I give her a rinse while she’s in the carrier and put some treats. She’s completely claws out and hissing.

I’m at a loss of what to do. That same morning she attacked me while I was in bed minding my own business. I figured I provoked her in some way, so I put the blame on myself. But this time I have no idea what it could be.

When I adopted her, she was very timid, but very sweet. With a lot of patience and love she became attached to me. She would hide all day and was very anxious, but when I’d come in her room she was happy and loving. It was clear she has separation anxiety and anxiety in general.

I have feliway in every room, and she’s terrified of leaving her room. She runs away from anyone and anything, including myself when she’s outside of her room. This is true even today. Dropping feces was normal, but she’d only do it when really anxious and only in one spot. She never had an issue with using the litter box. This was just a nervous reaction of hers.

At this point, I can’t live with this. I love her, but i’m traumatized and so is my male cat. I’m considering doing the unthinkable to me, and giving her to a shelter. I was determined to help her, but now I can’t even approach her, and i’m too afraid to let her loose in my home again.

I believe that very few cats are actually aggressive, they’re just afraid. I can always forgive a scared cat. It’s not their fault. In this case, it felt different. She had intent to harm me even when I was retreating. I’be left her alone for 2 hours and she’s simmered down, but she’s still hissing and trying to swipe at me even if i’m 6ft away.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry that you are dealing with this.i am sure somebody here can give you a sound advice.

Is she fixed? When is the last time she went to the vet?

Please bear with us. I have not dealt with this issue but somebody here have been and will reply to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply.

She’s fixed and was last at the vet about 2 months ago. She’s only a year old. There were no negative notes about her behavior or mental state prior to adoption.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply.

She’s fixed and was last at the vet about 2 months ago. She’s only a year old. There were no negative notes about her behavior or mental state prior to adoption.
There could be something that triggers her sudden attacks - a smell, a sight, a sound. She feels threatened perhaps. Is your other cat also fixed?

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There could be something that triggers her sudden attacks - a smell, a sight, a sound. She feels threatened perhaps. Is your other cat also fixed?
Yes, they are both fixed, I’m aware of the things that trigger her anxiety and none were present. It’s mostly loud noise. She’s never been triggered by any smell and the blinds are closed at night. Even the sight and smell of other cats doesn’t trigger her anxiety. She’s more curious than anything.

Normally she would either hide or meow for my attention. I’m happy to comfort her. But this time, she decided to do something different. Either due to anxiety, or other motives.

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Loud noises, big spaces (which is unfortunately my house), and extended separation (2+ hrs) are the things that trigger her anxiety. We occasionally get animals near my house and she’s always been fine. Cats, coyotes, armadillos, deer, etc didn’t cause any anxiety in the past. I wouldn’t rule it out now, but it wouldn’t explain this extreme behavior.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats don't lose their feces unless they are so scared out of their minds their bowels completely lose their control and let loose. Only extreme fear that paralyzes the muscles does this. I 've seen it happen many times when two cats fight. She is new, has apparent anxiety issues anyway, and is displaying displaced aggression, meaning she is attacking the nearest object when she loses control which is unfortunately you. She is out of her mind with fear. She may not seem like it at all times, because cats are so very good at hiding their emotions and fears. Big spaces and loud noises can indeed set her off, cats feel safest in small enclosed areas. The best thing to do is to keep her in one room, and treat her like a feral for a while. Sitting quietly nearby, talking softly and putting down treats when you leave.
How did she get to you when you were in bed? I would not sleep in the same room with a new cat, as turning suddenly over in your sleep, or her hearing a loud noise outside might set her off. Since she is new, your other cat is most liekey setting her off too. Seeing you with him, the one she trusts, might trigger some fear too.
This will all go away in time. She will accept you both as family and learn to love both of you. But it takes time and effort and a lot of it. If you dislike her now, or fear her to the point of avoiding her, of not accepting her and wanting to help, a shelter would be the only place to go, but it is more then likely she will be put down if she attacks a child/someone else in the future.
Getting two adult cats together takes months, not days or weeks. I had a cat with overstimulation syndrome, and it took all of mine a year to get along. My soulmate, Chrissy had overstimulation problems too, and I was attacked at times too, especially when a strange cat was present, or visitors ignored my warnings about petting her and I had to get her away from them. Most people won't accept a cat that gets overstimulated, or try to understand them and get them over their fear. Fear that comes with the unfamiliar. But I can tell you it IS worth it to get to understand what sets them off and have them get along with a normal life with family. It can be done, and it is really not uncommon. Once she feels truly safe in her new world she will be like a different cat. You already have a start on solving her problems. You know that loud noises and big spaces increase her anxiety. Get a stiff piece of cardboard or thin plywood to stick between you and her if she comes at you. Keep it handy. Check with your vet and get her some antianxiety herbal treats on Amazon. I give half of what they recommend for vet visits and they work very well on reducing a cat's anxieties. It may be what you need for a while, or the vet might recommend something else. It's a start. Bless you for trying to get help here and reaching out. I really pray you find tips you can use and that truly calm her. And I KNOW she can be a family member in teh months to coem if she accepts her new environment. All the luck to you, please keep us posted! PS PLEASE keep in mind, she was not trying to harm you, she was reacting to extreme fear and was truly out of her mind. She was attacking anything that attracted her attention, not picking things/people out. That is why I think a light sedative might help here, to try to take the edge off......

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Jackson galaxy peace maker. It did work. My cat Maggie is very territorial and does not like Coco. Maggie is very attached to me and does not like Coco taking her place. Maggie used to sit with me and play with Peaches. Now she stares at her when she plays with Peaches or sits with me. then will sometimes make a swatting motion.

Make sure your Male cat has numerous places to jump higher than the female. If she attacks you walk away. Do not seem scared in front of her. Some cats copy how their owners feel and do not like being separated especially if they are attached to their owner or her past before you took her in.

Maggie still tries to play with Peaches though Peaches does not lik it. I have clicker trained Maggie to come when called so that helps. Next I will teach her to sit. Another option is find a toy she really likes. If Peaches is bothering me I throw a toy then she chases after it and lands in shipping trash

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How long have you had her and how old is she? A cat with extreme anxiety can become ill with health issues very easily. Given that her demeanor has changed since you first got her, I would strongly recommend a thorough vet check up, including full blood panel (CBC, Chemistry Profile) to rule out health issues first. If none are found, talk to the vet about something you could administer as a calming agent, and perhaps start the introduction process all over again.

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of the comments. They're all great advice, and some are applicable, others not. I'll give some more background and an update on the scenario.

• She's 1 y/o, spayed, and has visited the vet many times w/ full testing with a totally clean bill. Last visit was prior to adoption.
  • I've had her for 6 weeks. She has been in my room this entire time, we do not have other rooms to keep her in that are safe. She has been totally fine and loved sleeping next to me at night.
  • My resident cat and her get along fine. They touch noses at the gate and are friendly. There was some hissing at the beginning, but there is absolutely no aggression between the two prior to the incident.
  • My house is covered in places where my cats can climb and escape to. I have 3 medium cat trees, shelves, and plenty of counter and cabinet space.
  • Her anxiety is clearly a part of her nature. She's naturally timid and scared and was like this prior to adoption as well. Bless her heart.
  • I've talked to a vet before about her anxiety, they suggested some herbal remedies. She refuses to take them. I was able to get her to take 1/4 of a calming chew after chopping it fine and smothering it in Churu. Force feeding her is not an option. Touching her mouth results in claws and hissing.
  • When I say she attacked me, it wasn't just a bite, scratch, or latching on to my arm or leg. I help rescue cats and know what a normal attack is. She was climbing up my body trying to harm my face. My legs, waist, arms, hands, neck, and face all have bites and scratches. She scratched my wrist so much the silicon strap to my watch was shredded. This was multiple times without me approaching her.
  • She had no visibility to see my resident and cat and I from her room. But she could hear us.
  • I completely understand her releasing feces when attacking me, but what followed was behavior I had never heard of before. She was running to the edges of the house and under chairs methodically dropping her feces. She clearly wasn't trying to hide as she didn't go to any of the hiding spots or high places in the house. After going to a part of the house, she would come back to me and attack.
  • She was clearly in a totally different state of mind. She is normally very sweet, affectionate, and tolerant.
Updates:
  • After about 6 hours of isolating her in a playpen, she was still hissing and trying to harm me.
  • After 12 hours she simmered down and let me approach her. She seems mostly in her normal state, but still hissing occasionally.
  • After 16 hours she stopped hissing, and started acting affectionate. I took the risk of letting her smell my hand, and she touched her nose to my finger
  • My resident cat is fine now. Seems like he's forgiven her, but she's now afraid of him. She was never afraid of him before.
  • She is now afraid of me and avoids me in her own room. She no longer feels safe in there.
  • Physically she seems fine. I see no wounds or strange movement.
  • I plan on taking her to a vet, but in her current state that's not possible. Getting her into a carrier isn't an option at the moment.
  • I'm giving her as much love as she'll let me and being patient. But it's clear my home won't be a good fit. Even if she trusts me, she's too anxious in the living area. She's had 6 weeks to adjust to being in 2 rooms, and she's barely comfortable in 1. Her litter box is in my master bathroom (which is the same size as the bedroom) and she runs away after she does her business.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The Jackson galaxy peacemaker is a clear unscented liquid that is put in their food. No taste
P1020300.JPG

. Unfortunately only online. This pic is from when my cats were on it. I hope things will workout for you and your cats! There must be a solution that's hard to find. The clicker was also online,3 pack

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neat, I’ll give that a try.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That reminds me how my cats have picked their own spot. Maggie's territory is my living room so she will chase Peaches off her tree. Peaches owns my bedroom,bathroom,and small kitchen. She growls if I squirm in bed or when Maggie gets on. Coco stays on my couch but I put her down if Maggie jumps on otherwise she will swat at her.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: I am so sorry. I know it was terrifying. I promise you that there is a trigger. It may not be apparent yet but everyone here will work with you bro try to figure it out. I’ve seen other instances similar and there was always a reason. Cats don’t just suddenly go off. Something terrifying happens. I’m their eyes. It could be as simple as a new soap, perfee, air freshener, a new piece of furniture or new sound. Something on TV scared my cats tonight and they hear TV constantly. I also had Vultures in the yard and now one cat is running from place to place, hiding. Blinds are closed and the TV is off but she won’t let me pet her right now. Take the Feliway down and see if that helps. Go back to your first day with her and start fresh. See if you can replicate everything as it was that day. Fevers being put out like that is desperation on her part to either rid the area of a smell or stake out the area to keep something scary away. Even something as small as a spider can scare some. Talk to the vet immediately. Pain is another thing that could terrify her. Cats struck with sudden pain do not understand where it came from and will lash out at whatever is near them that could have caused it. They don’t understand. There is definitely something going on that can be figured out. This didn’t just happen. Fresh start s though she just arrived. Thick piece of cardboard to put between you and her if she gets scared again. I know it’s hard but try to show calm and confidence without wavering. That poor baby will be lost if you don’t help her. You are her salvation. When you are with her don’t stare her in the eye directly. If you look at her do slow, calm blinks. Hang on and try to think of you changed any little thing in the house or if she had a paw stepped on, fell and twisted a paw, ate anything new...... any little change at all. There is an answer. You are not alone in having a severe reaction. It happens once in awhile but take Heart, it can be solved if you are willing to work on this. We are all certainly willing to be here for you to help. Sending calming vibes! Take care or yourself now that she is starting to settle. :redheartpump:

aarond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Small update

She spent most of the last night and today in her bed hiding, but around 2am she climbed up on my bed and asked me to scratch her butt and pet her. I was really happy and relieved.

She's not eating or drinking water. I've been able to get her to eat a few treats, but she won't eat any dry or wet foods. It's clear she's hungry and thirsty, but she refuses it. It's been about 40 hours since she last ate a meal and drank water.

She's spent most of today hiding in her bed but has gained enough confidence to leave a couple of times for about 3 minutes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have got to find something that she will eat!!! Here (link below) is an article on various techniques and food ideas, but tbh, a lot of members on this site have started to swear by Kentucky fried chicken. If you have one nearby, I would most definitely try that!

How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles

Edit: another thing that seems to work well is baby food meats (no onions/etc.). It is mentioned in the article.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had luck with Bonito Flakes, they are dried fish flakes that can be bought at pet stores, and ordered from Amazon for a whole lot less $. I put them in some kind of canned food, just a little canned food at first so the fish flavor comes through.
Also, I have one cat that LOVES chicken liver, from the grocery store in a carton for humans (not liver flavored cat food.) Have taken some and put that in canned food also, and frozen the rest of the liver. Cats shouldn't have too much liver, but some to get her started eating.