Atopica problem

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My 10 year old cat Jax has been licking his stomach raw on and off for months and nothing over the counter was working. I took him to the vet and she suggested atopica so hes been on that for a week and a half. The red spots look so much better but he himself is not doing so well. He has lost most of his appetite and hes very sluggish and lethargic.

I am taking him off of it, but i was wondering if anyone elses cat has had this reaction to atopica before? He seemed fine before he started taking it but since he started his whole personality and behavior has changed. Hes usually an active cat but he pretty much just wants to sleep right now. He has completely stopped eating his dry food and will only eat small amounts of wet food. I have been able to get him to eat small amounts of the dry food i give the outdoor cats i feed as well but its still not enough to keep him healthy. If anyone has experienced this how long does it take them to get back to normal once they are off the medicine?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: atopica
These are some threads about the use of Atopica.

Cyclosporine - Oral | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals
It does sound as if Jax is having some of the listed side effects to Atopica. If his refusal to eat were to become severe, there could be other issues; I would call the vet and update them to see what they recommend. The article mentions that sometimes these side effects iron themselves out over time which is something else to ask the vet. This should not require an appointment since you have apparently just been in to get the exam and prescription.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, i will look at the other posts. I do have another appt for him tomorrow at a cat specific vet. That is usually his normal vet but i brought him in with my dog to a local vet a couple weeks ago because the distance was a lot shorter and he hates car rides.

The vet that prescribed him the atopica advised to take him off of it but didnt offer much more advice. I was just wondering if his symptoms were common with atopica and if anyone else has experienced them. Its unfortunate because it is really helping his skin, its already almost healed. But he did have liver issues a couple years ago due to not eating that much after one of my other cats passed away so i dont want to go through that again either.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I think that you are doing the right thing to refer this to a cat vet as the use of Atopica can vary from dogs to cats. Let us know what you find out.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat had a bad reaction to cyclosporine. Lethargic, vomiting. It was along time ago, but that’s what I remember.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
L Lindsayj014

How is you cat doing? Were you able to see a vet again?

I haven't had to use atopica for any of my cats, but I do think I've heard of cats using it every 2 or 3 days, once it has initially given as a daily dose and there was improvement. You could check with the vet on this? (Note- I am not a vet)

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was able to see the vet on friday, she gave him an appetite stimulant and took some blood to make sure he didnt have an infection and his kidney and liver levels were okay. She called me today and said everything came back normal.

Jax has been off atopica since wednesday and has definitely perked up and is more like himself. His appetite could be better, he still wont eat his dry food, just the outdoor cats food, but im hoping the appetite stimulant will help with that. He has always been a very picky eater so maybe he is just tired of his dry food too.

I do see him licking a little bit again though so thats frustrating. The cat vet said that if his belly gets bad again i should try to cut his dose in half and see if he can handle that. Hes 10 pounds so i would give him a 5 pound dose. That is the last resort though. She also brought up a supplement called redonyl ultra feline that helps with allergic skin conditions so im thinking about trying that too. He is doing so much better without the atopica, i really dont want to even try a smaller dose on him.

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had a bad reaction to cyclosporine. Lethargic, vomiting. It was along time ago, but that’s what I remember.
I know you said it was a long time ago, but do you remember if anything worked for your cat to relieve their itching?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It was a weird situation. He had been to the dermatologist and had bloodwork done to determine what he was allergic to. The test is called a RAST test. The results showed he was highly allergic to dust mites, certain pollens and grasses as well as many other inhaled substances.

The dermatologist advised that doing the allergy immunotherapy injections would be the best course of action. It was explained to me that it could take up to 9 months to know if it would work or not. I was warned that although most cats do well with these injections, there is a very small percentage of cats that can have a reaction to the initial injection.

My cat had a reaction to the first injection and we went to the ER where he was given a steroid injection. The dermatologist decreased the amount of allergens in the injections by 50% and he didn’t have a problem after that with the injections.

Unfortunately, he was one of the tiny percentage of cats that did not respond to the injections and after 9 months I discontinued them.

That is when I tried the Atopica. It was new in the market for cats, although Cyclosporine has been around for a long time. There was allot of blood testing I had to do first on him including a toxoplasmosis Iga or something like that I had to repeat every 3 months while he was on it.

He had vomiting and lethargy after use, but I was advised to keep trying it. Back then, this is before Cerenia or Odansetron was used in cats. He was pretty miserable and I think his urinalysis was showing potential early kidney involvement. He also started sneezing all the time. The itching did stop. I discontinued the Atopica after about a month I think when I started to worry about his kidneys etc. He also became blocked ( unrelated I am sure).

After stopping the Atopica he didn’t seem to itch, or at least not itch like before. The sneezing continued and I did multiple culture and sensitivity of his nose. It came back with some scary bacteria like enterococcus and not as scary pasturella. I did head X-rays, which are basically useless, as were the cultures.

I had him on Prednisolone and a long term dose of cephodoxine, and an over the counter antihistamine. Nothing helped the sneezing. I tried different vets and eventually haas him scheduled for a CT scan but didn’t want to put him under anesthesia.

Eventually I stopped the medication gradually as he was showing signs of kidney disease in his blood. He then about 2 years later blocked again. And I noticed during recovery that he was no longer sneezing. At that point I found a really good cat vet that helped me with his final 3 years through kidney failure. He rarely sneezed after that.

He was not the normal response to what happens to an allergic cat that is itching.

I know this is long, but I want to add that before giving Atopica, you need to rule out every other cause. That means continuing topical flea preventative. Skin scrapings, fungal DTM, and a visit to a dermatologist before deciding to use it. It isn’t a “safer” drug than steroids. Just different.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is long, but I want to add that before giving Atopica, you need to rule out every other cause. That means continuing topical flea preventative. Skin scrapings, fungal DTM, and a visit to a dermatologist before deciding to use it. It isn’t a “safer” drug than steroids. Just different.
:yeah:

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. It was a weird situation. He had been to the dermatologist and had bloodwork done to determine what he was allergic to. The test is called a RAST test. The results showed he was highly allergic to dust mites, certain pollens and grasses as well as many other inhaled substances.

The dermatologist advised that doing the allergy immunotherapy injections would be the best course of action. It was explained to me that it could take up to 9 months to know if it would work or not. I was warned that although most cats do well with these injections, there is a very small percentage of cats that can have a reaction to the initial injection.

My cat had a reaction to the first injection and we went to the ER where he was given a steroid injection. The dermatologist decreased the amount of allergens in the injections by 50% and he didn’t have a problem after that with the injections.

Unfortunately, he was one of the tiny percentage of cats that did not respond to the injections and after 9 months I discontinued them.

That is when I tried the Atopica. It was new in the market for cats, although Cyclosporine has been around for a long time. There was allot of blood testing I had to do first on him including a toxoplasmosis Iga or something like that I had to repeat every 3 months while he was on it.

He had vomiting and lethargy after use, but I was advised to keep trying it. Back then, this is before Cerenia or Odansetron was used in cats. He was pretty miserable and I think his urinalysis was showing potential early kidney involvement. He also started sneezing all the time. The itching did stop. I discontinued the Atopica after about a month I think when I started to worry about his kidneys etc. He also became blocked ( unrelated I am sure).

After stopping the Atopica he didn’t seem to itch, or at least not itch like before. The sneezing continued and I did multiple culture and sensitivity of his nose. It came back with some scary bacteria like enterococcus and not as scary pasturella. I did head X-rays, which are basically useless, as were the cultures.

I had him on Prednisolone and a long term dose of cephodoxine, and an over the counter antihistamine. Nothing helped the sneezing. I tried different vets and eventually haas him scheduled for a CT scan but didn’t want to put him under anesthesia.

Eventually I stopped the medication gradually as he was showing signs of kidney disease in his blood. He then about 2 years later blocked again. And I noticed during recovery that he was no longer sneezing. At that point I found a really good cat vet that helped me with his final 3 years through kidney failure. He rarely sneezed after that.

He was not the normal response to what happens to an allergic cat that is itching.

I do use a monthly flea treatment on him but i did find a couple fleas on a blanket a few months ago. I havent seen any since but that is when jax started licking his stimach a lot more. He is unfortunately starting to lick his stomach again and its already getting red. I have ordered the skin allergy supplement the vet suggested and if it still continues after that i will ask about the other tests you mentioned. I really dont want him on atopica or steroids, even at a lower dose.

He is doing so much better as far as his behavior and eating habits go now. He didnt have a very good reaction to steroids a couple years ago either so both of those would be the last resort.