Ativan for semi-feral?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe a vet was okay with you giving her that drug and especially the "indefinitely" part. I don't think she looks depressed, I think she looks scared which is perfectly normal for an outdoor semi-feral cat who now has to live indoors. I took in a feral cat in June of 19 and it has taken her this long just to comfortable to be on the same couch with me, and even then she keeps her distance. It takes a long time.

I applaud you for taking her in and keeping her safe, I am just not sure about that drug being used constantly. It is a crutch.
Yes my exact thoughts
I wouldn't take ativan myself
Much less give it to a cat
It can be very addictive
Somethings are in my opinion isnt ok to give a cat
Far as prescriptions like these
Vets aren't always right
Sometimes you have to use your own judgment
Plus get second opinion or 3rd

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes my exact thoughts
I wouldn't take ativan myself
Much less give it to a cat
It can be very addictive
Somethings are in my opinion isnt ok to give a cat
Far as prescriptions like these
Vets aren't always right
Sometimes you have to use your own judgment
Plus get second opinion or 3rd

I agree, the thought of a cat to "indefinitely" be on Ativan, just so they can function, is disturbing.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the thought of a cat to "indefinitely" be on Ativan, just so they can function, is disturbing.
Exactly
And Ativan can also just make the cat just lay around and sleep
I know cats do that..lol
But I mean all drugged up
Wasting the precious cat's life away

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I definitely don't like the idea of using this particular type of medication, I just didn't know what to do and I was so worried about her. I also have 3 other cats in the household, although only one has shown mild territorial aggression.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Exactly
And Ativan can also just make the cat just lay around and sleep
I know cats do that..lol
But I mean all drugged up
Wasting the precious cat's life away
That is not her behavior when on the medication. Perhaps in high doses a cat may do that, but she is not getting a high dose.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the alternative? Release her back into the wild? I don't want to do that. I know time and patience are key, but she has been inside since June 4th and would not come out of hiding except to use the litter box (and lately I had not even seen her do that).

Believe me, I would rather she not be on anything. But I don't want her living in constant fear and anxiety. :frown: She had not been making any progress.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn’t have resorted to Ativan or any other drug but you know your cat better than we do. As long as you have professional advice and supervision and you keep aware of the cat’s status, I can understand.

Just stay ahead of the ball, so to speak, because things can get out of hand, quickly.

Ativan isn’t bad, by itself, but we all know what can happen if things go wrong. Compared to other drugs in its class (benzodiazepine) it is safer and better but it is STILL a drug and you always have to keep that in mind.

Be mindful, work scientifically and think like a doctor. Keep your vet on speed dial and be ready to call if you have the slightest doubt.

Like I said, this wouldn’t have been my first choice but since it is already a “done deal” I’ve got to say, “It is what it is.”

Don’t consider this as a solution but think of it as a step toward a solution. Don’t let this go on for too long. The longer it goes, the more chance of problems. Maybe a month.

DO keep us up to date! :)

Prayers and best wishes! :vibes:

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am no vet nor doc but only in a DIRE emergency/dire situation would (or have I) use ativan or any benzo. 1stly it is human meds. 2ndly, dose can cause death in cats via respiratory depression aka ovedose. I used it 1st time ever & on my indoor feral who was so groggy mins later he fell over next to litter box & couldn't walk or go into even his box for 24hrs. He was wobbly, etc.

I was worried but had to in emergency get him in a carrrier to vacate my apt. it was do or die for me but I hope never again will this occur this fast as an emergent need asap. I did what I had to do but never again I hope will I need go this scary way. Gabapentin would be the MOST I'd use & only in prep -- not a benzo -- unless a life & death for a dire emergency exists, as this was case about 1.5 wks ago. I gambled but was upset w/ me for days afterwards.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: I have not been giving her the meds the past few days after reading these posts. Oddly, she is doing better. Perhaps just those few days on the meds were the "boost" she needed to help get acclimated? :)

She is by no means as brave as when she is on the medication, but she is coming out of her playpen to let me pet her. I am going to try to not use the pills anymore unless she starts to show serious regression. :hmmm:

One of my biggest concerns is that she is afraid to go to the litterbox. I have 4 giant pans in different rooms, I don't know what else I can do.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad things are going well! :)

This is exactly how Ativan is supposed to work. You administer the meds when anxiety becomes debilitating then work to teach the patient (human or feline) how to cope. When the patient learns that things will be okay, the pills are withdrawn. Eventually, drugs won’t be needed and things will slowly normalize.

It is analogous to putting training wheels on a child’s bicycle. You put them on the kid’s bike until they learn how to balance on their own then you take them off. When the kid learns how to ride on their own, they aren’t afraid of falling and bike riding becomes fun instead of fearful.

Consider Ativan to be like “training wheels” and with careful work, plus a bit of luck, things should work out. Just stick to the plan. :)

M movinintime - Ativan is okay to use for cats but ONLY under a vet’s supervision.
You are right to be concerned. It is still a controlled substance, regardless of whether it is used on a human or a cat. The side effects CAN BE dangerous, life threatening or even fatal if not used carefully.

A butcher knife can be either a useful thing or a dangerous thing, depending on whether it is used carefully. Use it the right way and you will be able to cook a tasty, nutritious meal for your family. Use it carelessly and you could end up in the hospital or, possibly, the morgue.

I said before, I wouldn‘t have used Ativan, myself. I’m not the kind of person who uses medications without reason. I don’t even use aspirin unless I really feel sick. I think that too many people resort to popping pills at the slightest reason and I think that’s bad. I wish more people would use medications properly, for the reasons they were intended instead of reaching for a bottle of pills every time they feel the faintest twinge.

As long as Ativan is used the way it was intended, with professional advice and supervision, things should work out.

Just remember! You ARE wielding a proverbial butcher knife, here! ;)

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
No, you are right. I will proceed with what the vet suggests. She is usually pretty good about responding, so I will keep you posted on what she says.

I am sure she will want me to bring her in, which will be a challenge in itself, but whatever I have to do I will do.
Can you ask your vet if she does house calls? Many vets do, even if they don’t advertise it much.

Our clinic has at home euthanasia under their list of services on the website but mentions nothing about at home services for regular visits, despite providing it. We use it for our (ex feral) cat who beats himself up in a carrier (even with a mild sedative dose of gabapentin), and since we have a lot of cats, we also use it to vaccinate all of them at the same time (which means we only pay one appointment fee for about 10 cats, so the savings are significant).

They usually charge the same or slightly more than the standard in-office appointment.

A strictly mobile vet is also an option if you’re willing to try a different vet.
Update: I have not been giving her the meds the past few days after reading these posts. Oddly, she is doing better. Perhaps just those few days on the meds were the "boost" she needed to help get acclimated? :)

She is by no means as brave as when she is on the medication, but she is coming out of her playpen to let me pet her. I am going to try to not use the pills anymore unless she starts to show serious regression. :hmmm:

One of my biggest concerns is that she is afraid to go to the litterbox. I have 4 giant pans in different rooms, I don't know what else I can do.
If you find the “need” to go back to medication again, perhaps try to ask your vet about trying gabapentin to see if it might yield similar results? It’s more mild, and the margin of error is significantly better with gaba.