Atena And Me!

josemariadesousaneto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everybody!

I'm José Maria and Atena is my kitten! She is approximately 6 months old. She was abandoned 2 months ago near my aunt's house in Escada, a small city of Pernambuco, a state of Brazil. People came to my aunt's asking if she could keep her, and she denied it because she has a not-so-cat-friendly dog. However, what we didn't expect was that the people who brought her gave up trying to find her a new home and left her alone in front of the house. It was such a cold night and she came to me and my parents as we were leaving the house and we fell in love. We brought her that night and the next day we bought everything a cat would need.

We soon noticed she had a problem when she breath due to how fast she did that and how strange it was (she had a abdominal breath). We soon got in touch with a vet and then a series of tests started. She was such a lovely cat and we were so afraid of losing her. In spite of that problem, she ran, ate and drank normally. After x-rays, blood tests and biochemistry related exams, we were soon able to find out she has a diaphragmatic hernia - probably caused by a trauma like a kick or a fall, as there were no signs that could indicate she was hit by a car or something.

We had two options: The first one was to keep her as she was. The vet said it was a very risky surgery and she had low chances of surviving. Futhermore, as she was doing just fine,her body could have already adapted to the situation and it was possible that she would live a long and normal life as any other cat. However, diaphragmatic hernia is a time bomb and she could get worse suddenly and it would require a even more risky surgery. As I told you guys, I live in a small town of Brazil and here development is concentrated on the capitals. Here we don't have ANY 24h vet that could have done the surgery at these conditions, so we would lose her. That's why we chose the second options: to do the surgery even though she was fine at the moment and take the chances we had. It was very hard to have in mind that we could lose her due to the fact that she seemed ok, but we wouldn't stand losing her if we were wrong about not doing it.

Wednesday Atena had the surgery done. It lasted 3h30 and we were so nervous I can't even express. I cried the hole previous night while she was sleeping on my belly. But thank god and the vets the surgery went perfectly well!!! She needed to stay for 48h there to recovery, and she did so. Now it's Saturday and she is slowly recovering. This postoperative is very delicate and it hasn't been easy to keep her calm, but we are doing our best. I pray she will make it through! She will need 45 days to be able to run and climb the furniture as she did before, but it was worth it. She is now breathing properly and we are even more confident that we will share a long life alongside her.

This is our little fighter:

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Atena is paws-itively adorable. :catlove: And she's so lucky she found someone, like you, to love and care for her. :petcat:

Sending vibes that she heals quickly. :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
1FAACFF4-D8A7-4B83-92F1-99E3A1E14C6A.gif
Jose and Atena, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
1718077E-095B-4A90-AC85-090CA138CC2E.gif
to you both.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Atena is lovely and we hope that she gets well soon! Thank you for taking care of her.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! I'm so glad you took her in and she was able to get through surgery well. May you have many happy years together.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Welcome to the site :hithere:
Atena is just gorgeous. A very pretty kitten :heartshape:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm so happy that Atena is doing so well--which really is no surprise, with a loving dad such as you!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, what a start to your life with Atena. She's very lucky that you and your parents were the ones who took her in.

Sending :vibes::vibes::vibes: for a speedy recovery for your little girl. Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I remember reading about Atena's health problem in another thread. I'm thankful she found her forever home with you. All the best of luck! :goodluck:

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, that was a great story! I'm glad Atena found you as well! Many happy years to you both! :heartshape:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! What a heart warming story. And Atena is a good-looking lady cat! :redheartpump: