Ate Foreign Object

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our ten month old kitten got into some of my daughters craft supplies, and managed to eat a small decorative flower. They’re about half an inch across and made out of ribbon, so soft and flexible. I’m going to call the vet in the morning, but in the meantime trying to find info on whether she’s likely to pass it or not. Any thoughts?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
50/50 which way it goes. You could offer cat grass if you want to help her bring it up. Or you can give her a small pat of butter if you want to "grease the chute" and have her pass it on through. A little plain canned pumpkin or a cat food with pumpkin in it like Tiki Cat Aloha Friends might also help her pass it on through--the thought being that pumpkin would provide both bulking pressure from the fiber as well as bringing moisture into the stools to make them easier to pass. I would still plan on a call to the vet or a vet visit. It can be canceled if she brings it up or passes it through and seems normal afterwards. But if she starts vomiting without bringing it up and/or becomes lethargic, that's a sign it's not passing on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is super helpful, thanks! No cat grass, unfortunately, because I think up might be a safer bet than down. We do have some canned pumpkin, though. I might give her an hour or so to see if she brings it up, and if not I’ll mix some pumpkin with some food we have that I know she loves. And then I guess we’ll be going digging. Sigh.

Will also be having another chat with my daughter about putting her things away.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a kitty eat a little piece of ribbon. He did pass it. Hoping your kitty does too. The pat of bitter is what I did. Back then we didn’t know about using the pumpkin.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she ate it last night, it would not have made the morning edition. Maybe tomorrow morning? I have no advice on how to make the inspection part less nauseating.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol at morning edition. Fortunately she seems totally fine.

My husband actually had a good suggestion, though of course it wasn't until after I checked. Scoop into a small zip top baggie and then inspect from outside. Wish I'd thought of that.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking something with pushing it through a mesh while wearing gloves but that's more handling than I would have the stomach for. I like the seal it up and squish around idea better. Maybe toss some baking soda in that bag first to cut the odor.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! I know the routine. The plastic baggie sounds like a good idea!! Good luck. You might call the vet just to inquire about how long it would take to pass it , before the weekend hits. I don’t know where you are but I think this Monday is a holiday here.

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my monster kitten eat the tail off one of the mouse toys her brother loves. I saw her do it, but couldn't stop her fast enough, and was able to syringe some hydrogen peroxide down her throat, which induced vomiting and brought it up. I believe you only have an hour for the hydrogen peroxide trick, but if it happens in the future (hopefully not!), it's something to try.

NewKitty18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No flower yet, but have discovered that she eats all kind of weird stuff, including large bits of toilet paper.

Cindyozzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my monster kitten eat the tail off one of the mouse toys her brother loves. I saw her do it, but couldn't stop her fast enough, and was able to syringe some hydrogen peroxide down her throat, which induced vomiting and brought it up. I believe you only have an hour for the hydrogen peroxide trick, but if it happens in the future (hopefully not!), it's something to try.
Hi, Was your kitty okay after giving her the hydrogen peroxide? were there any negative consequences from the hydrogen peroxide? Thank you

Last edited: