At What Point Have They Gone Too Far With Pumpkin Spice?

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When they made the first item. Today, I went up an aisle in Dollar General with fall decorations. All of it was flavored with guess what? More of the Pumpkin Spice. The most gross I have seen is the coffee. A friend of mine goes big for this scent and she gave me the coffee some years back, gross.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with once they made pumpkin spice anything beyond pie. I get so annoyed at this time of year through Christmas because the artificial pumpkin spice and cinnamon scents really mess with my allergies. I've had times where I can't even get past the doors of a store because of the scented pinecones placed near it. Since the scent and flavor are so mixed I just can't with any pumpkin spice flavors either. :paranoid:

I get it. Some people love it. But if they can't say what goes into it I think they should be banned from having it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd agree with once they made pumpkin spice anything beyond pie. I get so annoyed at this time of year through Christmas because the artificial pumpkin spice and cinnamon scents really mess with my allergies. I've had times where I can't even get past the doors of a store because of the scented pinecones placed near it. Since the scent and flavor are so mixed I just can't with any pumpkin spice flavors either. :paranoid:

I get it. Some people love it. But if they can't say what goes into it I think they should be banned from having it.
I could not agree more.

I'm not a pumpkin spice fan at all. i don't get the obsession with it. That's a horrible thing to do to Spam which does not deserve the bad reputation it got over the years. Slice it thin, pan fry it until crisp and it is so good. Dip the slices in a bit of real maple syrup or add them to a grilled cheese sandwich and it's even better.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indian cooking uses "pumpkin pie spices" a lot. They can be great if used properly, and the spiced food doesn't have to be sweet. So I think the "pumpkin pie spice" Spam could be OK. Not that I'm going to try it, lol. But cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg can be used to improve some foods. Tbh, the spiced Spam is probably better than most PPS products. Still not going to try it :headshake:.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I love pumpkin spice season. :yess:

But I like it in limited ways--mostly coffee, ice cream, and baked goods. My sister sent me a 'care package' once with pumpkin spice flavored candy corn, instant puddings, and I don't remember what all. Most of it was nasty. :cringe:

I saw the pumpkin spice Spam announced on the news last night. I'm a vegetarian so I wouldn't be eating that stuff anyway, but that just sounds gross. :nono:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A sweet and salty blend
It doesn't even have to be sweet. It might just be spiced.
I like it in limited ways--mostly coffee, ice cream, and baked goods
Ooh, yeah, I love Culver's pumpkin pie custard. It actually has pumpkin in it, which most PPS products don't. I also like pumpkin bread. Occasionally a pumpkin pie spice latte, only certain brands though. What I really like are the "Christmas" peppermint lattes. I'm waiting for those!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It doesn't even have to be sweet. It might just be spiced.

Ooh, yeah, I love Culver's pumpkin pie custard. It actually has pumpkin in it, which most PPS products don't. I also like pumpkin bread. Occasionally a pumpkin pie spice latte, only certain brands though. What I really like are the "Christmas" peppermint lattes. I'm waiting for those!
Yes! The peppermint ones are good, too. I love frozen yogurt and my two favorite flavors are the pumpkin frozen yogurts in October and the peppermint ones in December. :yummy:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love pumpkin bread, too. The recipe does include pumpkin. I put Zante currants in mine instead of big raisins. I usually make up a bunch at Christmas time to give away.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it went overboard when it ventured beyond baked goods made with actual pumpkin and coffee creamer. And even with the coffee I've found I'm good with one or two a year. They've sucked the fun out of it by having it for so long. I just left Dunkin and thankfully they didn't have it yet that I noticed. I was there for the Heath creamer. :lol:

My kids are fans of the Pumpkin Spice Cheerios though. :agree:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This is one US thing that hasn't found it's way to Australia. May it stay that way. :lol:
LOL :flail:

I like pumpkin in baked goods, e.g. pie, muffins, cookies, bread and that's it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also only like it in the traditional baked goods. I don't really care for the sweet and savory combination in any form. Even though I am in Ohio I don't care for Cincinnati chili because of the cinnamon in meat. I have seen copycat recipes that also call for chocolate, I just don't like the combination.