At What Age?

gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read in another post that 3 months was really too young to test for FIV and FeLV. What is the youngest age where the test results would be considered reliable? I am guessing that the 3 I finally caught last night are around 4 months old now. When I get them tested I want to be sure the results are correct before I let them out of their cage and mingle with the rest of the gang.

I was also told by our vet, when I took Misty in a couple weeks ago, that she doesn't test for FIP unless they are showing signs of that disease. Does that sound right?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As far as testing goes, the studies I have read show that at 4 months is enough to test with some accuracy. However, if they were in a high risk catagory they say to re test in 4 to 6 months to be sure. If they are using a snap test and it shows faint positive, it's a good idea to send a tube of blood off to the lab for more accurate testing. The only thing the snap test shows is weather the cat has developed the antibodies to the disease.
With FIP, I agree. These kittens may very well show positive for exposure but may never develop the disease. It's a very funny virus. It is a strain of the corona virus and most outdoor cats have been exposed to it at some point and time. The only way to determine if it is for sure FIP is clinical signs such as liver failure or to perform a necropsy after death.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sandie, for the info. They are off to see the vet this weekend. Hope they are all healthy!