At what age do you allow foster kittens to meet your cat?

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took Allegra to get her shot, the vet (not my normal vet) seemed nervous that I wanted to allow her access to future foster kittens and advocated for fosters to stay separate. We decided to do the fiv vaccine even though she is indoors for extra protection with fosters. No way am I keeping fosters permanently separated though. Allegra is lonely and needs to pick out a friend! I also think it's great for foster kittens to learn from older cats/kittens to help socialize them.

Allegra is a 4 month old kitten with her first three boosters, her rabies and I opted to get the fiv shot which she will need a second dose in 2.5 weeks and is spayed. I foster through the humane society and I believe they they told me if the litter has their first shot and deemed healthy it's okay to mingle. I get a litter tomorrow and will double check if I had this right though.

Assuming you get a litter that is healthy, what age do you expose them?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You want to do at least a two week isolation period both between any foster and resident cats/kittens and between separate foster groups from different conditions. The last thing you need is some contagious illness transferring between cats in your household. Assuming the kittens have been tested and have had a two week isolation they can meet any resident cats. Depending on your residents temperament, it may be best to wait until the kittens can hold their own in play (5/6 weeks old or older). It really depends on your resident the specific age of the kittens, but always after a quarentone period to make sure the fosters aren't bringing anything in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response! Two of the fosters are 8 weeks old and one is 3+ months. My own kitten is dying to meet them, but of course I'll wait.