At What Age Do Show Breeders Set Kitten Prices?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know it can take 6 months or longer to determine show quality/ show potential in kittens. I release my kittens between 12-14 weeks old and at this point in time I’m basing my prices on bloodlines, genetic testing, and show potential. But it can be hard to know exact show quality on kittens before 6 months old. I’m working with Champion bloodlines but am still in the process of learning all I can about the in’s and out’s of showing. I know a tremendous amount of knowledge comes with experience. I’m curious at what age other breeders price and begin listing their kittens for sale.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you talking about prices for kittens sold as pets, or sold as breeding or show prospects? If you don't currently show your cats, I would be cautious about selling any kitten as a show or breeding prospect, unless you are placing it with an experienced show breeder who can evaluate the kitten themselves.

As far as prices for kittens sold as pets, I don't breed Persians, so I'm not very familiar with how Persian breeders price and sell their kittens. You'll want to talk to other people who work with your breed, and/or other breeders in your area. Do you attend cat shows or belong to a local club? That's a good way to meet breeders who may be able to give you advice about how they do things.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don’t show I would not advise selling kittens as show quality or even breeder quality as said above. Being able to tell which is which (pet vs show) comes with experience- showing your cats, learning the breed standard and knowing your lines. You say you are working with champion lines - do you mean Grand Champion? Most breeders look for Grand Champions, regional or national winners in the pedigree. Unfortunately to become a champion in CFA all you have to do is show up in 6 rings and not be disqualified.
The MOST important thing I can suggest is learn the breed standard and apply it to your kittens.
Re-reading your post to answer your question in my Cattery if I am placing a kitten as a pet knowing it won’t be shown I ask for the pet price.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
The breeder I know well does not price kittens of a particular breed differently based on what they think the show quality might be. They sell as (neuter) pets and each kitten of a particular breed is the same price. All their studs and queens are of high breed and show standard as are any stud cats they have agreements to use at other catteries. Full pedigree registration over several generations is provided with their sale contract.

What they do do is not sell kittens where they know of any health or breed standard issue. They have a couple of different breeds of cat but not Persians. The kittens are released to the new families from 14 weeks onward but the matching is usually decided much earlier than that.

They do not insist on kittens they sell being shown. They do encourage families to show where they think the kitten is going to be of high quality and the kitten's character indicates they might be happy in a show environment.

I have to say, they are very experienced breeders and seem to have a good eye for spotting really high quality breed standards and characters in their kittens while still young. They will usually have decided which if any kitten/s they want to keep and breed from in future before starting to introduce potential buyers to a litter (which they do at around 8 weeks age).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mservant mservant my policies are similar to the breeder you mentioned, but I think it may be different with Persians. For example I very frequently see Persian breeders, even some of the top breeders in our area, selling kittens directly at shows (which no one does in my breed) and I do see them offered at different prices. In my breed we typically choose homes for our kittens long before they are ready to go to homes, and typically have more buyers than kittens. That's why I would suggest getting advice from someone who specifically breeds Persians and/or someone in the local area, as they would know more about the market for Persian kittens, especially in that area.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re-reading your post to answer your question in my Cattery if I am placing a kitten as a pet knowing it won’t be shown I ask for the pet price.
I need to edit this statement to read :If I am placing a kitten as a cat that is not used for breeding it is sold at pet price. I don't know why I wrote the former! Guess the heat got to my brain (terrible heat here right now).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’m working with GC, PW, RW, and NW lines. I’ve been going to shows for a couple of years now but due to health reasons, I’m not physically able to personally show my cats at this time. I’d like to continue adding titles to their pedigrees even though I am physically unable to show them and I currently have the opportunity to do so, as I’ve gotten a tremendous amount of interest in my kittens from those wanting to show. Some are very experienced and others are just now getting into showing. I, too, find approved homes for my kittens well before they are ready to be placed in their permanent homes and since I’ve recently had a lot of interest for my kittens from those who want to show them, it made me curious when others determine show potential vs show quality. However, the majority of my kittens are placed in pet homes and therefore priced as such.

My mentor, who’s shown for 30+ years, is wonderful! She’s helpful in addressing any questions I don’t know the answers to does agree with my assessment of my current kittens. My sister cattery & fellow breeders also help me in determining quality but there are always those people who inquire on purchasing a kitten and either say I’m under valuing them or over selling them. It can be frustrating. I know opinions and practices vary from breeder to breeder so I was curious as to how other breeders approach this and really just wanted to get more opinions on the matter.

Last edited:

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At some point I think pricing comes down to supply and demand. How many breeders are in your particular area and reputation.

I know a couple of breeders in my area that breed MC's. One was into showing for around 25 yrs. They no longer show but still breed and sell. I think they stop showing around 5 yrs ago if I'm not mistaken. A few yrs back you could get a male for 12 to $1500. Then it went to 15 to $1750. Now, it's 2000 to $2500. They charge that much simply because...they can. They use to have a waiting list but no longer do that and, it's first come first serve. They simply can't keep up with demand. Sometimes they don't even post pics, just a description and it's reserved instantly. They do post pics at around 4 weeks and update if needed which, isn't very often. If they have a kitten they feel may be a show / breeder they'll post on hold for evaluation. Prices depend on color, size and, quality. Females average 2 to $300 less.

The other breeder does not show, will not show and, doesn't believe in showing. They're cats are just as beautiful as most any breeder that shows and, has champion show cats. Their cats are European bloodlines with pedigree, registered, health screening and, health guarantee. One of their clients was Papa Roach. A Grammy award winning band which could afford a cat from any breeder and easily traveled to get it. They post their cats around 4 weeks and they're usually reserved instantly. No waiting list, first come, first serve. Again, they simply can't keep up with demand. Flat rate for a male $1500 I think they have been breeding around 25 yrs also.

In both cases they have simply built up a clientele through referrals, repeat customers and a solid reputation. I do think facebook and other social media plays a large roll in this. Not to seem callous, because we are dealing with precious little lives that shouldn't be viewed as merchandise! But, it is a business and though I think it is a passion for a particular breed first and foremost, it is built like any other business.

Having said that...I know nothing about Persians. I may be getting a purebred in the near future and I'm torn between a Siberian and MC though I'm leaning MC. From what I'm seeing through research on both breeds, prices can vary greatly depending on breed, parts of the country and breeder credentials. I would think this would hold true to most breeds.