At what age do kittens/cats develop bunting (head butting) behavior?

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Who doesn't LOVE a good kitty head butt?  I have 3 kittens (3 1/2 - 5 mos) and none of them do this.  Typically the cats I've had through the years were awesome head butters and  I'm sad to live without it!  LOL!   One of them tolerates me doing it to him but he doesn't do it back.  The other 2 pull their heads back and look at me wide-eyed like I've lost my mind.  Is it possible my boys may yet learn to do this or is it a behavior they typically would already be doing by this age? 

kismet7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten is 4 and a half months old and he's been bunting me for about a month :)

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Head-butting is a behavior that not all cats do. Of my 5, only 2 are big head-butters. It may start occurring naturally soon, or they may never do it.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My boy will practically knock you over with one of his good head butts, but my girl tips her head down for a kiss. She looks kind of disappointed if she gets a head butt and no smooch. Lol

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
    i think often it starts in kittens in the sort of middle period of kittenhood  like 3 to 6 month   and  some younger kittens do a version of it.  

But  some start it closer to adulthood .  

and     I have had some cats adopted as adults who didn't do it at first but then became major head butting champs.   so I don't know in those cases if they had done it earlier or not.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all of you for your replies!  I'm glad to know maewkaew that some of yours later became "major head butting champs."  I'm gonna hold out hope for that!